Relocating to France

Lingua

Will be moving to France 2007/8 most likely to Charantes/Poitou or Limousin region and hoping to visit some places this summer. Would appreciate advice from anyone who knows these areas, maybe some towns to recommend, with schools nearby (14 year old boy), etc.
Kaygo

You are very brave moving to France particularly with a 14 year old who will be 16 when you move , without having seen the place. Are you French speaking?

Why brave? It takes a lot of courage to live in Ireland these days. I lived in Geneva for 12 years, so French is no problem ( my kid also speaks french). I know certain areas of France very well, others less so - thats the reason why I made the enquiry here.
kaygo

KAYgo, we made the move 2 years ago (to midi-pyrenees) and don't regret a thing!
Don't know the Limousin at all but aer lingus fly into Bordeaux with fairly good offers from time to time.
Loads of advice on offer on this forum [broken link removed]
and also this one

Mostly English people posting there - although the Irish are arriving! and I'd say a lot in the areas you're thinking of.
Although those on the forums may say otherwise (many work in the trade), I would say to avoid the English-speaking agencies, or use them to get an idea of what you're looking for, but buy through a French agent.
Bonne chance!

Thanks Pernickety, the sites are a great help - especially totalfrance.
All the info I need is there.
kaygo

Pernickety

What part of the midi-pyrenees are you living, just bought near Rodez. Yes the Irish are arriving.

we're in the Gers department and it's fairly unspoilt. we did look up near rodez too, beautiful countryside. Are you moving out?
a violent thunderstorm just cooled everywhere down after a balmy 24 degrees today, so I ain't complaining!

have seen some estate agents in the deepest countryside with "English spoken" "wir sprechen Deutsch" and "Irish welcome":)

No not moving yet, house/barn needs alot of work but my mate who is in to restoration lives nearby. Going for a few weeks in the summer.

Bought direct from owner no estate agent, saved at least 15,000 based on prices that estate agents were looking for.

Back