Relocating - South Arklow or North Wexford

celtp

We've finally decided to up sticks and move closer to Dublin. Hubby is working there during the week for the past 18 months and there is still no sign of work for him down South.

We have four children 1 in Secondary and 2 in Primary. We would really love to be close to a beach and prefer a more village or small town setup.

We've been looking at Ballymoney or Kilieran (?) in North Wexford but not sure of the commute. So also considering South Arklow.

Some what concerned about the lack of Secondary Schools and the size of the one in Gorey. The move is going to be really tough on the older kids and we need to get it right. They do a lot of activities such as music, scouts and sports so we would need to have these near by. We live in a small town with about 15K residents. Really don't want to go to Dublin or very large town.

Any suggestions on either area? Last thing we want to do is to move and find that the commute is too long or the area is not right for us.

Many thanks

Celtp

Courtown is nice, but like Ballymoney it would be a bit of a commute to the local secondary which is full to physical capacity but a very good school by all accounts and offers loads of subjects and extra ciricular activities. Don't know much about the local primary though but it would be a short drive away...you would be close to the beach though. Mr Bubbly commuted to Dublin from that area and didn't find it too bad...just over an hour to the outskirts of Dublin.
There would be a bit more choice of schools in the South Arklow area.

There is a music school in Gorey that is very good, I've heard. Sports are pretty well catered for too. I'm involved with the Scout troop in the town though and I know that you won't get them into scouts there, the waiting list is years long. Don't know the situation in Arklow but they have an active scout troop there, including Sea Scouts.

Good luck. It's a tough decision, especially with children to consider.

arklow has 4 secondary schools 1 girls 1 boys 1 co-ed and 1 gaelscoile all with good reps!!! there are 5 primary schools 1 girls 1 boys 1 gaelscoile and 2 co-eds again all good reps!!!!! also has very good after school clubs

Arklow has a good scout group- beavers, cubs and sea scouts!!!

Arklow has a very good reputation for music so i'm sure u'd have no problem getting your kids set up on that front. There are 2 very good marching bands also and a world champion pipe band if they r interested in that!!!! and a very good musical society for drama/music

Arklow has very good gaa and soccer teams catering for both boys and girls leagues

The commute to dublin isnt bad from arklow i was able to get to work in kilmainham in 1hr 10mins all going well:L

also a good night life for yourself and hubby

let me know if theres anything else you'd like to know

mise

Still researching our move. Dragging our heels mostly as we really don't want to move. But given the current economic climate and the fact that Dublin is pretty much the only place my DH can get work, we don't have much choice.

Secondary school is still our biggest issue. Our DD is quite shy and won't know anyone when we move. We really want to make sure that there are others in the locallity going to the same school.

Did some research on Gorey Community school and the % going on to 3rd level is low. Certainly less than the school DD currently goes to.

Does anyone know if there are school buses going to any of the Secondary schools in Arklow such as St Marys? If so, where do they run from?

Also FCJ Secondary School in Bunclody looks good but too far for travel. Any is there a bus service from Gorey area?

Thanks again for all the info and support

CeltP

Does anyone know if there are school buses going to any of the Secondary schools in Arklow such as St Marys? If so, where do they run from?

There is a bus service contracted privately by the parents that will bring your daughter to St. Marys from Gorey/Courtown area. I think it costs about €40 a week but I may be wrong there. He will pick up from your home if rural and it can be accomodated in his run.
Also FCJ Secondary School in Bunclody looks good but too far for travel. Any is there a bus service from Gorey area?

You'd struggle to get her into FCJ if I'm honest, the school is oversubscribed and even living in the catchement area isn't a gaurantee. If you're prepared to travel, Cloista Bride (sp) in Enniscorthy might be worth a look. Another busy school but good rep and there would be public buses from Gorey.

Bubbly Scot

Thanks for the info. Will check out Colaiste Brid in Enniscorthy for sure. We have been discussing this move for 2 years now and have really dragged our heels on it. Just have to get on with it now with very little time to spare. Hoping to have relocated by Sept 09.

We're concentrating on finding the right schools and then will look for somewhere to live. Just need to be sure that DH can commute to Dublin as we can't do another move. One shot to get this right!!!

CeltP