Relinquishing green card at US immigration in Dublin?

My wife used to have a green card. We were travelling to the US on holidays subsequent to her moving home and she approached immigration when we landed in the US. They were very courteous; I'd say the whole procedure took 30-45 minutes. Perhaps it helped that she was relinquishing it voluntarily rather than the immigration officers perceiving that she was abusing the system in some way. I can't remember how long she had been absent from the US at the time.

hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has an update on this kind of situation??

My OH was the lucky recipient of a Green Card back in his J1 Visa times and hasn't been living in the states since. He has no need for the green card and wants to return it.

We went to the states via Canada for a brief visit a few years ago and he did get some questions from customs but as it was by car they let him go but I'm wondering if there's a simple way to relinquish it to avoid the hassle and my loosing sleep?

bb12 - what did you end up doing?? I know this thread is old but I'm hoping for some new insight.

Thanks!
ad

hi Addob,

The Green Card referred to in this thread is the bit of the I-94 Visa Waiver form that they staple into your passport when you visit the US on holidays. The airline are supposed to take it back when you are leaving the US (as proof of your departure). Sometimes this does not happen, hence the above posts.

If on the other hand you are asking about the green card that allowed you to work and live in the US - that is totally different. Just because you once had this should have no impact on your ability to visit the US

hiya, yeah i just told them at the immigration point at dublin that i wanted to surrender my green card. they brought me into that room in the middle, where i had to fill out a form and swear some kind of declaration if i remember correctly. the guy dealing with me was actually very nice and the whole process was very easy and just took about 15 mins altogether.

Brilliant, it is the Green Card that allows you to live and work in the States, next time we hit the boarder I'll get him to hand it over.

On a seperate note, if we're crossing the boarder in a car from Canada to the States do you still need a visa?

Thanks!

On a seperate note, if we're crossing the boarder in a car from Canada to the States do you still need a visa?
Nope. No visa is required. You will be required to complete the I94W form and pay a fee of $12 US for each person. Canadian money is not accepted. Expect the questioning to be a little tougher than at Dublin or Shannon. It is not a fast process at the land borders so do allow an extra few hours for all the red tape.