Relinquishing green card at US immigration in Dublin?

bb12

Has anybody relinquished their greencard at US immigration in Dublin airport recently? I left the US in Oct 2001 and haven't been back since. I now have a trip planned in February and know that I have to relinquish the green card. Will I get much hassle or delay at immigration? With all the new security measures these days, I really don't know what to expect.

Check out the US embassy website. it gives full instructions on what to do with your I-94 if it was not taken from you on your departure from the States. Did you stay on illegally? If you did you may have problems when re-entering.

No I have an actual greencard and was a resident there until 2001. Your greencard will be taken off you if you're outside the US for more than a year, so I'm expecting this to happen when I'm going through immigration again in Feb. I'm just wondering if there is much hassle involved in this process these days.

Oh sorry I mistook what you were talking about, I thought you were referring to the I-94 immigration slip. Is the embassy website of any use? Best not to ring the embassy as they charge something like €2.40 a minute. You could ring immigration in Dublin or Shannon and have a chat to them and see what they say.

god! don't joke! i don't really wanna ring immigration as i don't want to draw any unnecessary attention to myself!

U can just ring anon!

ummmm maybe use a phone box in a suburb other than the one u live in....

And wear a false beard and glasses too just in case. Unless you normally wear these of course.

Panic unneccessary, my brother was stopped a year or two ago in Shannon on route to the US. They took him into an office and he had to explain why he had not relinquished the green card. They did whatever was neccessary there and then and he proceeded on to the US. Nothing further happened. The only bad part was that the whole process took about two hours and the US immigration officials weren't particularly pleasant. I have not relinquished mine either but have not been stopped to date, probably because I have got a new passport since its last usage..

being pulled aside to an immigration office for 2 hours at the airport does not sound very pleasant at all!!

mts, I also have a new passport since I last used my greencard but thought I should fess up to having the greencard when going through immigration as I thought all my details would pop up anyhow if they input my name and date of birth. you've never had any trouble at all going through? maybe their computer systems are not as intrinsiically linked as i first thought...

How many weeks until your flight? Might be worth trying to sort this with US immigration in advance. Failing that, chance your arm. Don't lie if they explicitly ask you about it, but don't volunteer the information either.

bond-007 said:
Show up very early in that case.
But you can probably only check in about 2 hours before the flight so if the security/immigration check takes place afterwards and could take up 2 hours it could be a catch 22 situation?

BB12 say nothing and see what happens, just make sure to check-in in plenty of time. I was certain after what happened my brother, who didn't miss his flight incidentally, I would be pulled over the next time I went to the US but nothing was said. I am just assuming that the passport is the reason why I have not been stopped to date, I suppose they don't bother checking everyone for previous green cards unless they are alerted somehow.

On a related note: does anyone know where to get 2" square ID photos in Dublin? These are for a US VISA application and are NOT standard Irish passport photos.

Alternatively, has anyone used an online digital bureau (such as photobox.ie) for ID photos? How did they turn out?

Or Hamilton Long chemists at the bottom of O'Connell St.

Interesting that they're asking for "real" photos on your application- the DV ("Green Card") lottery for the last few years has been online and you have to submit digital photos.

Back