Registration documents problem

I

IrishSteve

Let a friend (at the time) park up a van at our house, he was going to scrap it, it was repairable at a relatively low cost, but he wasn't interested, and it was agreed that he'd find and give me the registration docs etc.

That was 18 months ago, and due to changed circumstances, I can't easily contact him, and even if I do, I'm not likely to get the documents.

From what I can see of it, if a lost document form is completed, new documents will be sent to the registered owners address, so that doesn't solve my problem, I still don't have the paperwork to enable the vehicle to be taxed, tested etc and transferred into my name.

Is there a procedure for dealing with this, or will I end up having to remove the vehicle from my house, and let "the system" deal with it?

Steve

You can get a document signed by a peace commissioner stating that you own the vehicle. Then you can have new documents issued by Shannon.
Ring the DOT in Shannon and they will tell you the exact procedure.

Thanks Time, that should solve the problem nicely without too much aggravation.

Steve

That doesn't sound right to me. Surely the registered owner would have to be contacted to confirm that he/she agrees to give the van to someone else. Oh look.. man down the road has just bought lovely classic car. Think I'll give my local Peace Commissioner a ring