Registering .com website name

orredred

Hi all,

I'm making a website that will create videos for mainly American webistes. It will be a .com. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if I have to register the name with CRO. I'm aware that for a .ie you have to, but I'm not sure about .com.

I rany up the CRO and they said that I probably won't have to register it, but I should still talk to a solicitor. I don't have and can't afford a solicitor, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows what I should do.

Thanks in advance

also .... Anyone can set up a .ie without having to register with CRO.

Just to clarify that you should have a connection to Ireland but the rules are now a lot looser than the past. [broken link removed]

But as the OP wants a .COM, you only need to Google "Register Domain" to get a whole list of places you can register also for quite little cost. You don't need a
solicitor, you only need to have a unique name that has not been already registered.

When you get to the point of running a business and trading then you may need advice on whether to be self employed, a company, tax implications etc. There are loads of free resources and advice to help you though this phase also.

Hi all,

I'm making a website that will create videos for mainly American webistes. It will be a .com. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if I have to register the name with CRO. I'm aware that for a .ie you have to, but I'm not sure about .com.

I rany up the CRO and they said that I probably won't have to register it, but I should still talk to a solicitor. I don't have and can't afford a solicitor, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows what I should do.

Thanks in advance

As others have said anyone can register a .com domain name and there are lots of places offering this service. However since this is going to be a commercial site it is important that you have a clean Whois record in order to get SSL, signing certificates etc as easily as possible. Accordingly it best to go with one of the biger registrars rather than so kind of hosting package from "Joe Blogs Mom & Pop hosting"!

I've used both Go Daddy and Network Solutions in the past and it was always a breeze to get any kind of certificates afterwards.

Just to clarify that you should have a connection to Ireland but the rules are now a lot looser than the past. [broken link removed]

But as the OP wants a .COM, you only need to Google "Register Domain" to get a whole list of places you can register also for quite little cost. You don't need a
solicitor, you only need to have a unique name that has not been already registered.

When you get to the point of running a business and trading then you may need advice on whether to be self employed, a company, tax implications etc. There are loads of free resources and advice to help you though this phase also.

'Twas too hot for me to get into a long reply .... I was just clarifying the CRO aspect.

Thanks for all the responses. I am a sole trader and I will be providing a commercial service.

It doesn't matter that you are a sole trader and that you are providing a service .... anybody can register a .com

EU law means that you'll have to have a cookie notification display on your site (as you are resident in the EU regardless of where your site is hosted)

More here.

You can see it working on the Lotto site.

Are you going to put your own site together?

Back