Registering an employee

Crea

My hubby has a ltd company and wants to take me on as an employee. I can't find how he can register me as an employee for tax credits. I have my P45 from when I worked in 2006 but don't know if that's still valid.
Any ideas?

Are you a director of the company? If so, you may find that you are already set up as an employee, as in my experience revenue automatically set up all directors as employees when the company is being registered. Your best advice would be to talk to the company's accountant, as regards getting the best use of the tax credits and cut off points available.

Note that you will not be entitled to the PAYE credit if your husband is a proprietry director (owns more that 15% of the shares in the company).

Yes i'm a director and husband owns 99% of the company. I'll check with the accountant how to get my new tax credits.
Thanks for the info.

Note that you will not be entitled to the PAYE credit if your husband is a proprietry director (owns more that 15% of the shares in the company).

Hi Joe1234,
That is a surprise for me, I am going to start Ltd. with friend if my 50/50, does it mean my wife will lose the PAYE credit ? Could you refer please, where I can read about that ?
Thanks in advance

Yes i'm a director and husband owns 99% of the company. I'll check with the accountant how to get my new tax credits.
Thanks for the info.

All you have to do is call the tax office for your region, give them the company number and your PPS number and they will register your and send a tax cert to you and to the company.

If your husband already has your tax credits due to the fact that you haven't been working, you won't be entitled to any tax credits, unless you transfer over some from him.

In my case, my wife is an employee for a company, but friend of mine and I are going to set up Ltd. Company, how many shares or part of business can I have due to not reflect my wife's tax credit ? Thank you

In my case, my wife is an employee for a company, but friend of mine and I are going to set up Ltd. Company, how many shares or part of business can I have due to not reflect my wife's tax credit ? Thank you

Nicky, if you and your friend are each 50/50 owners of the company then you, as proprietory directors do not get the PAYE Credit of €1,830. If your wife is working for that company which you and your friend own, I believe that she may not be entitled to the PAYE credit. However if she is working for another different company entirely, in which neither you nor her have more than 15% shares, then she qualifies for the PAYE credit.

Thanks Graham 07,
That is I wanted to clearify for myself, my wife works for another company, not which we are going to set up, and I can get saying 10 % of shares in a new one Co. others 90 % can get my friend, in that way I think I will not lose any credits, neither my wife, hopefully

Thanks Graham 07,
That is I wanted to clearify for myself, my wife works for another company, not which we are going to set up, and I can get saying 10 % of shares in a new one Co. others 90 % can get my friend, in that way I think I will not lose any credits, neither my wife, hopefully

Nicky, that's correct.
If your wife works for another company, then she keeps her PAYE credit.
If you have 10% ( i.e. less than 15%) then you keep your PAYE credit.
Your friend, with 90% will not be entitled to keep his PAYE credit.
In situations such as these the person's personal tax credits are not affected, just the PAYE one of €1,830.

Back