Register company for VAT from what date?

TreeTiger

I had a company incorporated a couple of months ago and am completing form TR2 and am a bit stuck on one of the "Registration for VAT" questions which is "State the date from which you require to register the company".

The company is an online business but won't be trading for a few months, however I have been incurring expenses since last March which have included VAT; also I have an Innovation Voucher which I will have to hand over in a few weeks and pay VAT on that.

So should I use a date in March, or when I expect to pay the VAT on my Voucher, or the date by which I hope to start trading?

Well, I would see "trading" as being about buying as well as selling. If you have incurred business expenses in March, then I would register from March and claim the Vat back on those expenses.

Thanks mystrikeoff, that's what I was hoping I could do but couldn't find the answer on the Revenue website.

Under Section 9(1) VATA72 the Revenue Commissioners are obliged to allow the VAT registration of persons in a start up situation and before sales commence i.e. people who "may become" accountable persons.
This enables such a person to reclaim VAT input credit on "pre-trading" purchases. However the Revenue appear to view applying for registration prior to supplying goods or services as an election to register which cannot be back-dated. A person setting up a business should apply for VAT registration before VATable expenditure is incurred.