Register a company

leesider29

I want to register a company, where can I get the relevant forms etc? And what is the cost of registering a company?

A friend and myself are setting up a website but want to register a company rather than a partnership.

Thanks

You can do it yourself via the CRO at www.cro.ie All information there.
You can do it through company formations agents ( golden pages )
Your solicitor can do it.
Your accountant can do it.
Costs can vary but a few hundred Euro would be normal ( say 200-400 depending on where you go )

You should take proper professional advice to see that a limited company is in fact appropriate for your circumstances.

I agree with everything Graham has said.

If you do still decide to go with a limited company, I would recommend ICC on at www.iccformations.ie

They only charge €199 including Vat to form the company. You would then have to get it tax registered.

If you do form a company, don't fall into the trap that many others do in your position. Familiarise yourself with Annual Return Dates (ARDs). I see (and I'm sure Graham also sees) countless people paying needless late filing fees to the CRO due to missed ARDs.

Just be aware that a company comes with a lot more compliance requirements and will either take you longer to administer yourself or will cost more in accountancy fees.

Depending on what the website is you may not need a company as registered business name suffices in some circumstance e.g. a BnB

There are various companies offering incorporation, some accounting firms are actually doing it free in order to get the business. Not us by the way.
My advise would be to carefully consider whether you actually need a company or is a partnership or soletrader sufficient. After incorporation, costs for a company are in excess of those of a partnership. Also, if the business were to fail, the costs of winding up a company can be excessive.
Generally it can be wise to set up as a sole trader for 6-12 months and if things are going well then incorporate. There may also be tax benefits where the new company can buy the business off the sole trader.

Tony
www.kdaaccountants.ie