Refuse/recycling

E

ellend

My question is about used household food packages, eg, chip backs from the chipper, or say the trays you get sausages in from superquinns, firstly can they go in the green bin? and if so, are they required to be washed and cleaned before you can put them in the green bin.
I have tried looking for it on the internet through google but im new to the internet and have not mastered finding information quickly.
I am eager to recycle as much as possible but I am not sure which exact items can be recycled etc.
If there is a list i could look at on the net it would be great.

Thanks.Ellen.

Where are you? Not sure if "green" bin collections take the same stuff in all parts of the country. Ours (Dublin City Council area) only take paper, light cardboard, steel and aluminium cans, tetrapak.

Have you checked www.dublinwaste.ie for example? Or with your local authority or private refuse collector if applicable?

Have you checked with your local Bring/recycling centre?

thats great clubman, thank-you, i got the list from the page you put on for me, perfect, still finding my way around the internet, great invention.

regards, Ellen.

I use Panda and put all plastics into the green bin - they say you can so I do - before it was just 1,2 and 4 plastics but now it's all. But they do need to be cleaned, so rinse out bottles, shake out crumbs for bags etc. Paper should also be clean, so I'm not sure greasy bags from the chipper are ok.

Our DCC Oxigen green bag explicitly states that plastics are not accepted. We recycle them at the local Bring centre. So, as I suspected, the policies must vary from one place to another.

DCC/Oxigen Green Bins in D12 accept certain plastics since late last year, they doubled the frequency of collections at the same time.
Leo

Thanks - must check the latest green bags that we got in case they take plastics around our way too now.

Greasy bags from the chipper are not OK for the green bin, likewise pizza boxes. They need to go in your black bin.

We've just had plastic bottles added to the list of what can go into our green bin.

I put pizza boxes in the green bin and have had no complaints from Panda. at least I wash out bottles and shake out crumbs from packages. My mother in law does neither - in fact I think she decides what's recyclable based on whether she has room in her grey bin or not!

After having had visitors for the weekend who live in a different part of the country, I'm after clearing through my black bin to swap over all the recycable stuff they put in there.

Then I opened the green bin and found my better half had put organic stuff into it... what a mess!!

Does anyone else think that there should be a once-and-for-all, across-the-nation, applies-to-all-recyclers statement of what can be recycled and what can't?

From what I have read, thin plastic wrapping cannot be recycled - yet not so long ago they were telling us that envelopes cannot be recycled either (remember the Diarmuid Gavin ad??) but apparently they now can...

Back