Refundable deposit on holiday apartment

Ballymagash

Hi,

I posted a question on the travel forum in July see here for details:

Our last communication with the owner was over three weeks ago, when we asked for copies of the invoices for replacement of the damaged items to be sent to us. We have not yet received them and at this point it seems unlikely that we will.

The reason I am posting here is to find out the following:
1. Are we entitled to this information? If a deposit is withheld and details of the costs of items to be replaced are given, does the owner have to prove that they spent that?
2. If we were to consider going to the small claims court, can we do that as obviously it would be the one in the uk, so I don't have any idea how that would work?

I should say that we are not concerned with the cleaning bill and accept that it is payable. To be honest, this is not really about the money. Its just that I feel that an owner has a responsibility to pursue these things in an appropriate way if they are going to withold a deposit. Firstly, to notify the tenant immediately that they feel there has been damage, not many weeks later. Secondly, to back up the replacement costs with invoices or whatever.

I would be grateful for any opinions on what, if anything, I can do next.

The Small Claim Court in the UK is a fairly simple process, if you have any questions call the local Citizens Advice line in the town nearest to where the holiday apartment was. They are very helpful and well used to refering people to the SC Court

Thanks for that Coolbeg. I'll get on to them today. Does anyone have a opinion on where we stand on the issues I've mentioned?

Thanks.

Hi,

I had hoped for some opinions on where we stand legally before pursuing the small claims court option. There is no point in doing it if we haven't got a hope!! I've found it difficult to find any information on the legalities of this - anything I have found relates to long term rental property not holiday rental. I've also searched under travel and holiday legal requirements etc but this tends to cover air travel/holiday companies etc etc.

I really would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction - even to some websites that might give me information on my rights (if any!).

Anybody?

Back