Redundancy--typical amounts

8till8

Does anyone know what the typical redundancy package is for small business? I know that statutory is 2weeks and often the best multinationals pay 8weeks (p.a.) but where in between that would small business fit. I know its an impossible figure to quote but what is the 'average' / typical amount.

I doubt that there is anything "typical" to be honest. Each company, its policies and means are different.

Multinationals pay 6-8 weeks because they usually need their staff to train in the new guys. In small businesses it's usually statutory redundancy and that's it.

If ststutory is 2 weeks, then typical is 2 weeks. Small business cannot afford to be giving away money.

Depending on your relationship with the company/management, it is possible to negotiate your package.

I am being made redundant in the next few weeks and the small company has been very generous to me, as I have worked very hard here for the past six years.

So - as I said 6-8 weeks, 2 weeks, whatever you can negotiate. Nothing "typical" in my opinion.