Recycling

In other countries (USA,Canada at least!) you can buy milk and other liquids in bags. Then simply put bag in a purpose made jug, snip off the corner, and pour (then store jug in fridge). For detergents, buy in bags, refill large heavy plastic bottle and all you have to dispose of is bags. Not ideal, but much better. Only downside is possibility of leakage during transit between home and shops, but that could be overcome with care and decent strength bags. Simple but not being done here!

We get our washing up liquid and floor cleaner refilled in a health food shop in Galway saves on plastic bottles.

Ruam

I don't really understand why people repeatedly draw comparsions between energy consumption and recycling, ie the "it uses X amount of energy to drive to the recycle centre......etc" brigade. IMO the energy issue and the waste issue are very different matters. Albeit the energy issue is a very important matter, we should not just continue burying our waste just because it might use more energy to recycle it.

I'm not denying there is a relationship between the two and completely energy inefficient recycling options shouldn't used but when talking about reducing, re-using and recycling, it should be remembered that the goal is to create less waste!!

I wonder how many of the people who harp on about the amount of energy used to drive to the recycle centre unnecessarily drive themselves to work in the morning instead of considering other energy efficient options!!

I would agree with the storage in large plastic bags suggestion, we also have our recycling collected in the council "dry recyclables" bags, there has been no dry recyclables collection since 2 weeks before Christmas so I have stored the bags in the shed. There is no problem with animals tearing them or anything as any food is gone and containers rinsed out before bagging them. We live in the countryside and there are plenty of animals about but they have left our bags alone. Keep up the good work recycling...........The power of One!

Why?

Albeit the energy issue is a very important matter, we should not just continue burying our waste just because it might use more energy to recycle it.
Those aren't the only alternatives. An item which is unduly expensive or difficult to recycle can be incinerated, and thus any stored energy extracted. Integrated waste management, dontchyaknow. Recycling purely for the sake of recycling, irrespective of the environmental or economic drivers, is just plain stupid.

I'm not denying there is a relationship between the two and completely energy inefficient recycling options shouldn't used but when talking about reducing, re-using and recycling, it should be remembered that the goal is to create less waste!!
Why, exactly? In some sort of drive to, ooh, sustainability? With which energy use is inextricably bound up? Or have you some magic other reason which makes you think it's 'moral' to recycle whether or not it does any good?

I wonder how many of the people who harp on about the amount of energy used to drive to the recycle centre unnecessarily drive themselves to work in the morning instead of considering other energy efficient options!!
Speaking as just such a harper, I walk to and from work every day, I walk to the recycling centre, and our household has no car. Your point?

Detergents such as Ariel used to do this, but not any more. I guess it just ain't very CT.

In South East Asia the locals buy their coke and pepsi in plastic bags from streetside vendors. Backpackers do too, especially the Professional Backpacker (yawn) variety.

I am living in the county with no bin collection. I have a growing problem of waste now. I am currently putting the recycling stuff to one side but i have no where to store it.

If you are in the country and have land, why not just get a digger, dig a large hole on your own property and dump the waste? If it’s inert non-biological waste (i.e. plastics, glass, paper, etc.) it will have no adverse environmental effects.

Hopefully because the OP is sufficiently copped on to know that that is illegal and irresponsible. Paper isn't inert, either, and nor is plastic although it takes a great deal longer to break down.

Reminds me of that family in Kerry a few years back that got in trouble for burying their deceased on the family farm. No respect for future generations.

Reminds me of that family in Kerry a few years back that got in trouble for burying their deceased on the family farm. No respect for future generations.

With all respect this is probably very personal to those involved and perhaps should not be elaborated on.

This is an incredibly irresponsible suggestion IMHO....

Marie

try to avoid Tetra-Pak (which is environmentally-damaging to make and cannot be recycled)

Can Tetra-Pak not be recycled? The label on the green bin says it takes them.

I really wish that more household liquids came in big refillable bottles. I hate having to buy all those little bottles of shampoo etc. We bought big 5l containers of Ecover wash up liquid and multi purpose cleaner and have them refilled every 6 months or so. less even. So handy. We have the little plastic bottles at home which we refill from the 5l one. If I could do it with more stuff I would for instance shampoo, conditioner, dishwasher tablets etc. We should be able to buy in whatever quantities we want especially since most people have to drive to do their shopping anyway.

It can, but it's a bit more difficult than standard cardboard because of the plastic component, and it's not accepted for recycling all over the country - basically it depends on the facilities available locally for waste segregation, etc. But there really aren't many switches that have a recycling advantage: anywhere tetrapak isn't accepted, chances are pure plastic containers aren't either. If in doubt, check with your local recycling place / green waste collector... except in Dublin, where we know it's accepted!