Recording from NTL

audioline

Hi all,
I`ve just bought a Pioneer dvd recorder with 80gb hard drive and already had the NTL digital. I can record from the digital channels but cant figure out how to record one digital channel whilst watching another. Originally the digital channels were coming through on AV1 on the television now they also come through on AV2(slightly inferior picture quality) The pioneer calls this port AV2/L1 and I can record from both this and AV1, but if I record on AV1 then switch to AV2

Sorry I hit send by mistake.......If I do this the Pioneer records me changing digital channels. Has anyone any experience at this? I`ve tried different settings in the pioneer initial setup and nothing seems to work. Any help would be much appreciated.........

you need a twin digital tuner eg sky plus . i dont know if ntl have an equivelant.
you might be able to view other channels while recording digital by putting the old analogue coax lead directly into the back of your tv.

eamonn66 said:
you need a twin digital tuner eg sky plus . i dont know if ntl have an equivelant.
you might be able to view other channels while recording digital by putting the old analogue coax lead directly into the back of your tv.

You mean, put the old analogue coax into the back of the DVD recorder (Antenna In) and put another cable from the TV Out on the DVDR and into the back of the TV.

This should indeed allow you to record the analogue channels - you will have to tune them (or auto tune them) into the analogue tuner built into the Pioneer DVDR. If you then record from channel 1 to 13 (or whatever) you will be recording the NTL "basic" channels.

In order to record from a digital channel, you will record from the SCART output on the NTL digibox. This unfortunately means you can only record the channel that you are viewing. Plus, as NTL's Electronic Programming Guide only shows 3 days, recording weekly programs is a bit of a pain.

I am just of the phone to an NTL customer service rep who told me it was impossible to record from digital and watch a different digital channel at the same time. A little dickie bird, on the other hand, has told me that if I get another NTL box (which they will insist on installing in the other room) I can hook this up to the original NTL box, thus splitting the digital signal and allowing me to do what I want to do. I read here yesterday they have a package with 50 channels for eur5 per month(which they dont advertise). If I could get the installation for eur25 and only pay an extra eur5 a month for the second box I would go for it.

audioline said:
I read here yesterday they have a package with 50 channels for eur5 per month(which they dont advertise).

NTL have been advertising a second box for €5 a month for some time now. There's been a leaflet in my last few bills and it's on their website

[broken link removed]

I cant seem to post the link here but the link which leads you to the link youre talking about on the NTL site says you can watch the basic 17 channels in the second room whick makes no sense as that can be done already.

Back