Recording Cable TV with DVD Recorder

I

iandobrien

Hi,
I have a Samsung Plasma TV with a 80GB Panasonic Hard Disc / DVD Recorder. We have cable TV coming in to the house. Before we had the DVD recorder the cable went directly from the wall into the back of the tv and everything was fine.

Since we got the DVD player I have tried going (with the TV cable) from the wall into the DVD player and then use a Component out lead to go from the TV to the DVD recorder.

However when i do this I have to watch my TV channels through the DVD player (can't view them through tv anymore cause cable is going from wall into dvd player). Aswell as this I can't seem to get any sound when i watch the tv through the DVD player.

I talked to a guy in Currys today and he said that the only option is to use a scart cable that goes from the TV into the DVD recorder and leave the cable going from the wall into the back of the tv. Is this correct?

I have already spent €30 buying this component lead so it would be a pain to have to bring it back and replace it with a scart lead. Also the guy in the shop that sold me the component lead (Harvey Normans) maintained that using a component lead was best.

All i want to do is watch tv through the tv using my tv controls and have the ability to record anything on the DVD recorder (any channel any time).

I hope someone might be able to help. Thanks in advance,
Ian

Are you on analogue cable (i.e. no cable box?) Assuming you are then:

I am not sure that the scart lead will carry the cable signal either as far as I know it just carries a picture and sound output from the DVD recorder to the TV.

Does the DVD recorder not have a cable passthrough i.e. one connection for the coaxial in from the wall and another connection for coaxial output? If it does you need to get a short piece of coaxial cable an connect it from the DVD recorder coaxial output to the coaxial cable input connection on the TV.

The SCART might still be worth having aswell as the picture quality when watching from the DVD recorder should be better through SCART.

I'm not sure about the component lead you have but it sounds like its a component video lead only. Are there also L/R sound sockets on your DVD and TV? If there are you may need a sound cable as well although if you use SCART instead this is a redundant issue.

there is a site called Radio and Telly Connection Advisor-Goggle it and there is a useful setup guide there for various equipment permutations.I am sure u will find your answer

Back