Record TV on my PC

BlueSpud

I have an oldish PC at home, a 1.3g celron with 640m ram, and a DVD burner with Nero6. Is there any way I can record TV and burn it to DVD. I know I would need a card of some sort but I dont know what sort. Assuming I were to get a card, where to then? Any pointers much appreciated.

Your pc doesn't really sound up to doing any AV stuff. You can get USB devices that will connect to Audio/Video RCA output from your VCR. Something like this [broken link removed]
I'v seen simpler/cheaper ones but I'm too busy to go looking. :)

i have one of these on my dell pc at home. It runs Xp which seems to be a requirement

Works quite well and supports svideo and composite so you can record froma a DVD player, VCR or camera and burn to DVD.

This came as part of my pc bundle so I dont know how much it actually cost.

Saw some similar stuff in PEATS recently.

P

Given your spec I think you need to ensure that whatever card you get can do hardware mpeg encoding as opposed to doing it in software on your PC.

The hauppage cards are probably a good bet, maybe not the 500 linked above unless you need the dual tuners but the 250 or 350 maybe.

That avermedia one seems to require a higher spec machine and I'm not clear if it has hardware encoding. Also you need USB 2 to use it an older machine might not have it (though it can be added with a PCI card)

Thanks for the input (no pun intended). Think I know where I am going with this now.

Back