Reconstituted Granite Worktops

C

cluckcluck

Hi folks,

Just embarking on an extension and remodel of our kitchen. We plan to re-use our existing kitchen unit bases, doors (painted afresh) and invest in new worktops (bye bye formica!). Like the look of granite but seriously do not want to pay thousands for it. Does Reconstituted Granite look/bahave as good?
I am concerned that our existing units will be able to sustain the 'weight' of the new counter too? What special supports are put in place for Granite worktops, if any? I think our kitchen originated in B&Q with shaker style doors.

Much appreciated, thanks

As far as I am aware, reconstituted stone worktops such as Silestone are even more expensive than granite - if I'm wrong I'll be quite happy as I'm going to need nearly 7 metres of worktop which puts granite or Silestone outside my budget!

One of the things I'm looking at is GetaCore which is available at In-House. Link: http://www.in-house.ie/styles.asp?cat=8&subcat=19 It's about €650 for a length of about 4 metres. It's also available (at a price, obviously, but still cheaper than granite) with a sink & drainer moulded into it. I currently have GetaLit gloss in my kitchen and have been very happy with it, people have often mistaken it for granite, so I may yet go with it again.

Back