Recommendations on where to stop between Vancouver and Calgary

Paulsgirl

Hi,

We are travelling from Vancouver up around the Rockies and are flying out of Calgary approximately 7-10 days later. We are going in July.

We are debating on whether to get a camper van or hire a jeep and also are wondering where are the best places to stop for a night or two?

If we have a campervan, we don't have to worry about accommodation but if its a jeep, we'd need to book motels in advance so dont want to book one for a few nights if the place is not worth spending a night in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paulsgirl.

That must be about 1,000 KM. There certainly is plenty to see along the way.

I flew in to Calgary before and stuck to the eastern side of the Rockies. I then flew from Edmonton to Vancouver. (cheating!!)

Banff and Jasper are lovely. Jasper may be a bit north for you but it really is nice around there.
Banff is a must as you should be driving stright through it. Also check out Lake Louise. PM if you want hotels etc.

+1 for Golden and Kicking Horse, we stayed at a really nice spot there is you're looking for reccomendations!

http://www.palliserlodgeresort.com/ can't say enough good things about it!

We had an apartment style room and were able to do our laundry in the middle of the holiday in the great big North American machine - added bonus!

Sorry, also if you have the time, I would take the route via Whistler and the Sea to Sky highway to Vancouver rather than the highway all the way!

If we have a campervan, we don't have to worry about accommodation

Just make sure you take some simple precautions with a campervan. You'll be travelling in bear territory. It's not a big deal but it is good to be careful where you cook, where you store your food and how you dispose of waste food/dishwater.

Not trying to freak you out or anything like that but it just means you have to be conscious of how you camp.

I hope that won't deter you from doing what is certainly a great experience.

Thanks so much for all your input. I'll have to get the map out and look at the places you have mentioned.

So it being bear territory doesnt worry too much. I'm more worried about the slowness of carting a campervan and the roads aswell. Very hard to decide between the campervan or a 4x4.

Sorry, I missed the part about the campervan. If you're driving one of these then I really wouldn't reccomend going via Whistler to Vancouver as most of the road from Salmon Arm to Whistler is single lane. I imagine the Sea to Sky betweekn Vancouver and Whister would be easygoing after the Olympic upgrade but not sure about the rest!

I'd recommend Whistler anyway for a couple of days at the start of the trip (you did say Vancouver to Calgary). It'll give you a great perspective on the start of the trip and will still have a buzz after the recent Olympics. Not sure about snow for skiing though in July, but it is present in June though.

Hi Lucky you its a fab part of the country we went in a camper van for three weeks was unsure about campervan at first but would do it all again.Radion hot springs was lovely and had a lovely camp site Lake Louise is like a picture postcard and there is a lake just outside there called Pedro Lake a nice walk up to it but well worth the effort Heaven on earth.In a camper you get to meet loads of locals who are very friendly and camp sites are everywhere.Are you bringing children?

Sorry, only getting back to this now. No, we have no children so that may make a camper a bit easier. Just worried about slowness and the roads, they are our main concerns.

Back