Recommendations on 37" or 42" Plasma

blaze

I'm looking to get a wall mountable Plasma in 42" or would settle for a good 37" but I cant seem to decide on what make or model to get. It needs to be under €1900. My choices so far are

http://www.didstore.com/store_detail...3RVA&subid=196
http://www.didstore.com/store_detail...3320&subid=196
http://www.didstore.com/store_detail...5320&subid=196
http://www.didstore.com/store_detail...42V6&subid=196

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Its just to watch TV and movies and I'll hook up a 5.1 surrond system but nothing fancy. Dont need it all the new HD stuff. If it has a HDMI connection fine but thats more of a bonus rather than a requirement. I do want to buy from ireland in case of issues with it and ideally would be able to connect a PC to it.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Take a trawl through the plasma forum on AVForums. You'll get loads of reviews and advice there. You should take a look in Dixons or Currys as well, the LG you listed above for €1780 in DID is about €1500 in these.

Personally I think it's a little short sighted not to go for a HD Ready set if you're spending that kind of money. Not too much material out there now, but I presume you don't plan on replacing the screen within 3-5 years in which time even RTE should catch on to the HD craze.

Oh, I can tell you not to get the Hitachi PD6600, mine just died after three months!! Few other niggle issues as well that don't seem uncommon from a few web searches. The 7200 gets rave reviews, but that's about €2200

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that HD is a few years away so I'd hope to be changing again in about 3 years. By that stage HD will have become more mainstream but I think there is alot of hype arounbd it at the moment which is reflected in dealer prices. I dont want to get off topic with HD so I'll leave it there but do take on board what you are saying.

Anyone recommend a nice Home Theatre System 5.1 under €350

Thx

Plasma and LCD could be be toast in as little as a year, when Toshiba/Canon's new SED screens arrive on the market. (CRT-quality picture, thin case, priced to compete with plasma/LCD).

Something to think about. Definitely look for HD.

extopia said:
Plasma and LCD could be be toast in as little as a year, when Toshiba/Canon's new SED screens arrive on the market.

But at what price point? Typically new technologies like this are at premium prices initially. After all Plasma and LCD have been around a number of years now but are really only entering the mainstream more recently as the prices have begun to fall. If this new technology pans out though I would expect it to put downward pressure on Plasma & LCD prices as it initially fills the premium market pushing them further into the mainstream.

Blaze, how are you feeding your wires (cable,scart etc)from tv are you planing on putting a hole in wall and feeding them down etc...?

dam099 said:
But at what price point?

No one knows for sure, but the word is that Canon and Toshiba want to price these competitively with LCD/Plasma. The bottom line for me with LCD and Plasma screens is that they are just not very good - and nowhere as good as their CRT predecessors.

well i have an NEC 422 plasma, i got it tradea year ago but its HD, the picture is amazing with the xbob 360.

there is a big debate ongoing about plasma vs LCD. but like anything else if you wait for the latest and greatest product you'll end up with nothing cause they are always changing.

i wouldn't just base it one price either, look at the amount of imput you have into the unit, my mate bought a samsung and hasn't have the amount of imputs i havr for various set ups and now he wishes he bought the same as me.

corco2000 said:
Blaze, how are you feeding your wires (cable,scart etc)from tv are you planing on putting a hole in wall and feeding them down etc...?

I am puutting a power socket on the wall behind the TV and the scarts, cables etc will be fed down behind the plasterboard. (I'm having the house done up so that why the cabling is easy)

I saw the Toshiba 37WL5 37" in Powercity last night and it has a great picture. Its an LCD though but seemed much clearer and crisp that the LG. The LG has 3 Scarts and plenty of other inputs including a PC.

Back