Recommendations in Dublin 320K/340K 3 bed House

dubdub123

I'm originally from Dublin but living outside of Dublin 10+ years now. I've been planning to move back for some time. I had approval in principle in place and planned to put house on market but then halted everything when covid landed. I was then on the wage subsidy scheme so mortgage approval was out of the question but now I'm looking to move ahead again next year all going ok.

I am originally from Ringsend area of Dublin but that's totally unaffordable now. Living rural now has been great in some ways but very isolating so I'm looking to get back to Dublin, however I'm not tied to any particular area.

I'm expecting my budget to be around 320K-340K and here's some things I'm considering :
- 3 bed house (or 2 bed with possibility to convert attic )
- Suitable for one adult and 2 teens/almost teens
- proximity to decent secondary school (mixed school) or close enough to public transport to allow travel
- close enough to a grocery shop / supermarket
- family friendly area (basically not a student party area)
- decent walking loop nearby (park, trail or something)
- House itself would need to be in decent state or lower priced so I could put some money in to upgrading
- within reasonable distance of third level (say around an hour or so travel, or less if possible - children will have to commute from home in few years)
- public transport or taxi journey to hospital - not urgent now but future proofing as will be planning to stay in this home for many years.

Does anyone have any suggestions on areas that they would recommend from first hand experience? Few areas that I think are in this price range are parts of Swords, Dublin 5, East Wall, Crumlin and surrounding areas, Lucan..

Can anyone give advise on any of these areas or other areas please?

www.myhome.ie -> filter for price, house, no. bedrooms.

Eliminate anything you really don't want e.g. busy road, small garden, abbatoir next store.

Run your checklist against what's left.

Pick 6 -8 to go and view, bring a tape measure, draw a floor plan.

Pick 3 to do a second viewing.

Put offers in on 2.

Good luck!

Last edited:
East of Northside Dart line is best value. Artane, parts of Killester, Edenmore, are all okay as neighbourhoods at that price.

45 minutes including walk to city centre via bus or Dart for students.

I'm originally from Dublin but living outside of Dublin 10+ years now. I've been planning to move back for some time. I had approval in principle in place and planned to put house on market but then halted everything when covid landed. I was then on the wage subsidy scheme so mortgage approval was out of the question but now I'm looking to move ahead again next year all going ok.

I am originally from Ringsend area of Dublin but that's totally unaffordable now. Living rural now has been great in some ways but very isolating so I'm looking to get back to Dublin, however I'm not tied to any particular area.

I'm expecting my budget to be around 320K-340K and here's some things I'm considering :
- 3 bed house (or 2 bed with possibility to convert attic )
- Suitable for one adult and 2 teens/almost teens
- proximity to decent secondary school (mixed school) or close enough to public transport to allow travel
- close enough to a grocery shop / supermarket
- family friendly area (basically not a student party area)
- decent walking loop nearby (park, trail or something)
- House itself would need to be in decent state or lower priced so I could put some money in to upgrading
- within reasonable distance of third level (say around an hour or so travel, or less if possible - children will have to commute from home in few years)
- public transport or taxi journey to hospital - not urgent now but future proofing as will be planning to stay in this home for many years.

Does anyone have any suggestions on areas that they would recommend from first hand experience? Few areas that I think are in this price range are parts of Swords, Dublin 5, East Wall, Crumlin and surrounding areas, Lucan..

Can anyone give advise on any of these areas or other areas please?

Beaumont , ive a few relatives there , its quite possibly thee most boring place in all of Dublin but its very safe , good schools nearby too

Last edited:
East of Northside Dart line is best value. Artane, parts of Killester, Edenmore, are all okay as neighbourhoods at that price.

45 minutes including walk to city centre via bus or Dart for students.

I was thinking about Artane and surrounding areas though some of the houses are priced bit higher than my potential budget and other lower priced may need some work. I think location wise it would be a good fit for work / college so I'll try get more info on those areas.. Ideally I'd like to be within 2km of a dart station if possible.

Beaumont , ive a few relatives there , its quite possibly thee most boring place in all of Dublin but its very safe , good schools nearby too

Thank you for the suggestion.. I hadn't really thought about Beaumont but I see one house in my expected price range alright. I'll keep an eye out in that area as I move things along. Really want somewhere safe and reasonable close to a college and this area fits the bill for DCU and into town and good to get feedback that it's pretty quiet.

thanks to everyone giving feedback on this

Thank you for the suggestion.. I hadn't really thought about Beaumont but I see one house in my expected price range alright. I'll keep an eye out in that area as I move things along. Really want somewhere safe and reasonable close to a college and this area fits the bill for DCU and into town and good to get feedback that it's pretty quiet.

thanks to everyone giving feedback on this

its a lower middle class area , not as good as drumcondra but better than artane and probably santry , santry would be convenient for retail etc

I've been looking at houses on line quite a bit and sortof seeing the following that are popping up in my price range
- 2 bed/3 bed that are in the price range around kimmage/crumlin. I had family around stannaway years back and house was a decent size but quite cold I remember but I guess most of that could be resolved with improvements to insulation.
- Around Artane and Dublin 5 in general there are 3 bed houses that are at upper end of price range but may need work done as well.
- wouldn't be as familiar with Cabra / Finglas East but there are houses in that price range, some in really good condition.
- Beaumont / Santry - keeping an eye on those areas but not as much but even a slight drop in price would make a difference
- East Wall - any feedback on this area?

Any general feedback appreciated. I'll be searching through the more specific threads but just looking to get general feedback and hear about other areas that I may not have on my radar. I see Lucan , Clonsilla , Blanch have houses in the price range but my preference is to live some place where I could potentially manage without a car and be within a reasonable distance of the city centre.

Any more feedback appreciated ... its gonna be a long slow process to get where I want so utilizing the time now to gather info. thanks

Hi Dubdub,
I would also suggest you look at the area around Whitehall and Beaumont in Dublin 9. Larkhill has some houses in your price bracket.
Beaumont is fine, there are many similar houses in large estates but they are all fine and the area is quiet.
Collins Park might be a bit more expensive but look anyhow, also a nice quiet settled area. There are good shoping facilities nearby in Omni centre and you are pretty close to the M1.
Artane and parts of Raheny (Tonlegee road). Raheny is nice as soon enough you are close to great parks and the sea.
Look also at Gracepark Heights. Currently these would be beyond your price range but who knows, you may see something.
Also the area opposite the Omni Centre, it looks busy but once you get into it is is quiet, LLorcan Road Lorcan Drive, more than your budget at present.
Another nice area is Brookwood in Dublin 5. Again more than your budget but you might want to keep an eye on it.

The North side has some great schools. If your near-teens are heading for secondary school soon you might want to start putting their names down in a school or two. I know the rules on waiting lists have changed recently or some change is proposed but it would be a good idea to start enquiring of any school you like the look of. There is a very new co-ed secondary on the Swords road at Whitehall, people are very complimentary about it. There are lots of schools, dont feel confined to the one closest if the others are within walking distance/public transport.

Generally as the teens grow up and want to meet friends in town it is handy to be close to a good bus corridor or even better, a Dart or Luas station.
Make sure you walk around your chosen area and get a feel for it and the streets. Some areas dont look great on paper but are much nicer when you are there, equally some area might appear nice on the web but you don't get a good vibe. Also watch out for new houses. Not many, but seek them out. Best of luck, dont get disheartened

Back