Recommendations for off the rack sports jacket for very tall man

truthseeker

Can anyone recommend a place for a tall guy to get a good quality off the rack sports jacket?

The man in question is 6ft 4 and slim build. He is having terrible trouble finding something for his height - most off the rack stuff seems to be 2 inches or so too short.

Their emphasis is on *Big* and Tall unfortunately.

Tall and slim doesn't exist off the rack in Ireland.

Maybe Mr. Big 'n Tall. Goatstown Cross.

http://www.mrbigmenswear.com/default.asp?cookiecheck=yes&

No connection!

We tried there yesterday evening, they do cater for tall and slim, but their range starts for guys around 6ft 6 - which is obviously too long - mind you he couldnt believe he was in a shop where stuff was too long rather than too short for a change!!!

Anything in the right length was for Mr Big as opposed for Mr Tall so he looked like he was swimming in the right length stuff.

Please do post back if you find anywhere here that does them. There are Internet shops (e.g. [broken link removed]) who will let you return things if they don't fit, but I have the same problem in that stuff is usually too bulky when it's the right length.

One alternative might be to take a cheap Ryanair flight to Holland or Scandinavia, armed with a list of shops to visit. Their populations are taller generally.

We tried a mens shop in Rathfarnham shopping centre, they were very helpful but didnt have much suitable - although they did have some in the correct sizing but nothing in the colours he liked.

The guy in the shop sent us off with the promise to phone round his suppliers to see what he could get in in the correct size - when he phoned back the answer was - none of the suppliers had anything!!

We are also going to try Brown Thomas and maybe Louis Copeland - but Louis Copeland will probably end up as something being made as opposed to off the rack - but I will certainly post progress.

There must be somewhere - there ARE tall slim men in Ireland!!

I'm 6'2" and slim build - OK a bit shorter than the guy in question - but I've never really had any problems at all in this respect. I'm a bit surprised to be honest.

What about Debenhams? As well as a good selection you have the (perhaps) added benefit of about a dozen different designers together with their different cuts/lengths/shapes etc.

House of Fraser in Dundrum had a small selection of suits in a 'big & tall' line, so it might be worth checking out their sports jackets.

marks and spencers are also worth checking out, check their website first to see what leg length they go up to, but if your local shop doesn't have the lengths/size in stock you can order them (without you having to buy it).
I've ofter found some of the stuff I want is very popular in my size, so I normall phone (number is on the website) pre-order the stuff then go in and try it all on.
Again I'd second the idea of visiting holland, a friend who is 6'6" has been buying off the shelf there for the past 20 years.

Thanks for all the replies, we have ascertained on the phone to both Louis Copeland and Diffneys that they have a range in the correct size - so we will be trying them tomorrow.

Caveat - Debenhams has also been recommended to try, Im surprised myself that he is finding it so difficult but having tramped round many shops Im starting to understand why, if the length is right his body looks swamped, if the body is right his arms are sticking out 2 inches further than they should :)

Perhaps theres a kind of 'tolerance limit' that he is falling just outside of?

ok - jacket procured :) Dundrum shopping centre was the place we found the goods.

Hugo Boss's sizings are slightly larger than average, so a 42 regular was lengthy enough.

House of Fraser size jackets as 4/5/6/7, a 6 in one style was a good fit, a 7 in another style looked too small - but they had a tall guy serving who was very helpful and brought a number of different types over.

Overall selection was not great for 42 long anywhere we tried but himself was happy with Hugo Boss so bought that and then went to the mens shop in Rathfarnham shopping centre cos they were holding a 42 long in a green velvet type jacket that he decided he'd get also.

Back