Recommendations for New Phone System for SME

MissRibena

Hi everyone

We will be moving office soon and I am investigating the options open to me re moving the current phone system or whether to invest in a new one.

We currently have a Panasonic Hybrid System with two extensions.

In the new place we will want
1. Six extensions (with expandability up to approx 20 extensions)
2. Ability to handle 4 or more lines
3. Possibility of linking with a loudspeaker for tannoy/paging people on
factory floor.
4. Possibility of allowing incoming calls only at some extensions.
5. Voicemail facility (possibly)

It's effectively a start-up operation so I'm trying to strike a balance between initial outlay and future upgradeability.

Rebecca

Rebecca,

You have a few options available to you but the first one you need to investigate is the type of system you already have..

Panasonic Hybrid systems come in many shapes and sizes..

If you have one that says KXTD before it then you are sorted.. as this is a digital system which will allow your upgrades and voicemail addition..

Normally you will have on the KSU ( the main controller) some numbers e.g. 8/16 or 12/32 which equates to Lines/extensions.

If it is not KXTD then you may need to look at replacing it to allow you to add on etc..

You might be able to get a combined VOIP and PSTN system, which would allow you to save on international calls... (e.g. This company with which I am not affiliated.) Check out also [broken link removed] over on boards.ie.

Many computer sites give free [broken link removed] numbers, for example, for customers to ring you on.

the netlink system from eircom is good for a small company, you can add options such as voice mail as and when you need them.

Thanks everyone.

There don't seem to be too many companies doing this kind of thing in the Midlands. All roads are leading to Eircom, which doesn't exactly give me a warm feeling in my tummy.

Our Panasonic system is KX-TA624 and our handsets are KX-T7030X, so it doesn't look like it's the right one for upgrading/moving.

We are getting 4 new phonelines installed in the new premises. We will be using broadband for internet access but should I be looking to get ISDN lines? I don't really want them (I don't see/understand the benefit) but the Eircom phone systems guy is pushing it.

Rebecca

MissRibena said:
Thanks everyone.

should I be looking to get ISDN lines? I don't really want them (I don't see/understand the benefit) but the Eircom phone systems guy is pushing it.

Rebecca

The eircom guy is half being honest, an ISDN line consists on two channels where you can make calls independently of each other, it is mainly geared towards data but it has one other advantage, the rental, if you have 2 analogue lines you will pay €20 line rental on each but with ISDN the rental is €35 , so a saving of €5 per month or €60 annually..

the KX-TA624 will allow you to plug ISDN into it,via a Plug & Play box but is is an Analogue system primarily.

This system is standard 3/08 but you expand it up 6/24( as per my previous post) which means that you can use it in your new premises but it needs to be expanded.

You can also add voice mail to this system but it will work out quite expensive .

Send me a PM if you wish and I can help you with configuring the existing system.

ThomasJ