Recommendations for MP3 and Docking Station

DianeC401

I am looking to invest in a new MP3 player and docking station and wonder could anyone give me some advice as I don't know where to start.

My budget is limited but I do want to get something of decent quality that will serve me well over the next 5 years.
I don't use an MP3 out and about much but would definitely be using it a lot to store and play music at home.
I think 4GB would be fine for my needs - I don't have a huge music collection.
I do need to have the facility to record on the mp3 though and it would be a plus if I was able to compile playlists (not essential though).
With regards to the docking station a mid-level one would be fine. I am not looking for professional quality sound and I live in an apartment so I can't be too LOUD

One thing to consider is that I am thinking of getting a new laptop in the new year. I don’t think I’ll be able to afford a Mac but that’s what I’d really like. Are MP3 players compatible for both Mac and PC or will I have to choose now which I go with?

Would say €100 for the MP3 player and €150-200 for a docking station be a good starting point or do I need to pay more?

Are brand names (Ipod, Sony) truly best in terms of quality or do you just pay for the name?

And where would you recommend I look for bargains (I’m living in Dublin but could go North if it’s worth the trip)?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks!

Ok, start with the MP3 player.

Personally I would go for any of the SANSA models. Great range of products from the basic clip (just music and excellent for audiobooks too) up to the Zune which is a bit flashier. Quality wise they are great, they support playlists (iTunes ones too), they have a record function, built in radio and a couple of equalizer settings as standard. Very reasonably priced too. It is generally felt that they're among the best MP3s available.

One issue to consider is what you want the MP3 player for. Be aware that most are now multi media so they have video (ipod Nano now takes video), games, etc. Personally I only use mine for listening to music so I don't want or need any of that stuff.

Really for the 4GB capacity, then try the SANSA Clip if all you want is to play music. You might as well go for the 8GB seeing as in Xtravision it's around €70.

Another bonus of the SANSAs (over iPods anyway) is they're drag and drop, so as long as the ID3 tag info (song title, artist, album) is ok you don't need itunes or anything else.

However: if you're getting a docking station this is where there may be some issue. Most tend to be set up for iPods and will only support other devices through a standard audio input. So it will still play, but it won't sit on the docking station and it won't charge the thing.

That's a bit of a sickener.

The iPods are great (I also have a classic), but can be expensive and if you only want music, then all the bells and whistle are a waste of money.

Anyway, a decent enough docking station is the "pig" currently on sale in Harvey Norman. We've one and the sound is very good, plenty of different fittings (though all for different iPod sizes) and most importantly the connection is robust. Some are a bit weak and become loose meaning you can't play the iPod withough using various devices to prop it up at the right angle.

So, in conclusion: for a very good day-to-day MP3 player, SANSA really are up there. However, there is the issue with the more common docking stations only being set up for iPod products.

Thank you so much LAtrade for such detailed and useful advice - I feel I am well-armed now to go and shop around. The SANSA sounds great. Like you I'm not interested in it's ability to support games and video. I'll just have to sort out the docking station issue but if the MP3 player is good enough it's worth the extra hassle searching out a suitable compatible docking station.