Recommendations for hotels in Florence and Sorrento

Hi Tarquin

I stayed in Hotel Capodimonte last May. It cost about 200 per night
I could not recomend it highly enough.

Sadmak

Hi Tarquin,

in Florence I know 3 star ([broken link removed] and hotel Perseo) and 2 star (hotel Ungherese and hotel Casci) hotels. Every hotel has good prices with exceptional hospitality. I have to tell you that Colomba, Perseo and Casci are in the heart of the city, very close to train station and Dome. Hotel Ungherese is a little far from center (10min. by bus) but is very nice and cheap!

Nothing for Sorrento, I'm sorry.

Hope can help.
Lore

Ops... I can tell you that Florence is more expensive than Sorrento

The best site I know for Italian hotels is http://www.venere.com (www.venere.com)
Combine it with to find a place.
Florence and Sorrento are well above average prices in Italy as they are both extremely touristy. I've been to Sorrento several times and find it a pale imitation of a proper Italian town.

Hi Tarquin,

I stayed in Residencia Il Villino last June and was very happy with it.

Its a converted mansion house, with a small number of bedrooms. We stayed in a suite on the ground floor (since there were three of us). Its done up in traditional italian style - heavy mahogany furniture, but that suits the style of the building.
The owners are really nice and friendly. I cant remember the man's name, but he speaks fluent english and will do anything to help you enjoy your stay. There is a courtyard where you can take continental breakfast.
I had read on TripAdvisor that it can be noisy. I am a REALLY light sleeper, so was very worried about this, but with no need. Even though the bedroom was on the groud floor and looked out on to a road, there was no noise. The windows have 2 double glazes - i.e. 4 panes. Anyway, its a tiny narrow road, so there isnt much traffic (human or cars).
Its less than 10 mins walk to the Duomo. Some people on TripAdvisor complained that its far from the center, but I didnt feel that atall.
Its not a top class luxurious hotel atall, but its friendly, spacious, comfortable, and not too expensive.

In Sorrento, I cant recommend a hotel, but in Sep I stayed in a village 8km from Sorrento called "Santa Agatha nei dui monti" and stayed in a fabulous hotel! I nearly dont want to recommend it, since I want to keep it my secret! Its called "Oasi Olympia Relais". Its expensive (300E per night), but I asked for a reduction and they gave me 250E per night with no quibble. Its worth the money though - I'd go back in a flash. Its perched on the brow of a hill, and you can see the sea on both sides of the peninsula. I preferred being based in the village there, since there are hardly any tourists, and its a short drive to all the other towns (sorrento, positano etc).

Well, tripadvisor is ok. Venere is a little more expensive compared to the hotel web site where you don't pay any commition and you can negotiate better rates...

Can't advise on Florence, but can recommend the Hotel Bristol in Sorrento. Spent 2 weeks there on honeymoon in their Villa Bianca suites (personal terrace with hammock and outdoor hot-tub - really private and peaceful. Loved every minute of it there, the staff were really brilliant, food was delicious, and by booking directly with them (over email, just rang to give CC details over the phone) the upgraded us to the above suite for the price of lower range of rooms.

Have been meaning to leave note on TripAdvisor, must do it this week!

I found when booking that going directly to the hotel after sourcing on Venere or elsewhere worked out way cheaper!

HTH, enjoy Sorrento, we can't wait to go back!

We stayed at the Bristol too last time and it was sheer heaven I agree. Fantastic views over the Bay of Naples just wonderful. Can't go wrong staying there!

hello i third the hotel bristol in sorrento. Also booked directly with the hotel and they had no standard rooms left so was upgraded to villa bianca, like ulcercentral. The view of the bay is amazing, was clean had 4 poster bed and sitting room and kitchen area out the back. Check it on tripadvisor.com.

Stayed in the Bristol, Sorrento last May for a week and can recommend it. We went via a package holiday.
We paid extra for a room with a view and it was worth it.
The Hotel is maybe a 6 minute walk from the centre of town, far enough that you don't get the bin trucks in the early morning and near enough to walk.
The food was allright, not fab.
Problem with Sorrento is that most Hotels are half board, so you are less likely to get a supreme gastromic adventure unless you are happy to pay on the double.
Don't bother going to Capri, bit of a waste of time, maybe interesting place to go to if you want to watch tourists and the like., pretty island just way over crowded.

Half board is usually only the case if you go through an agent, booking direct with the hotels usually results in you getting B&B with an optional per day supplement if you choose to eat in the hotel for dinner/lunch.

Capri - hmm, we went on a tour and wouldn't do it again that way. If we were to return we'd go it alone, however if you do go then make sure you go up to Anacapri - you escape the madness of the tourism, etc, somewhat and there is a great chairlift up to the highest point where you'll get some fab pictures! Capri is marketed as a place for the rich and famous, and we definitely felt this was all they were interested in marketing - come see our celebs style of thing.

We stayed in the Grand Hotel President, its perched at the top of a cliff overlooking sorrento, some fab views, hotel is very nice and people very friendly they had a shuttle bus a few times a day and also at night into the town and back to the hotel.

Taxi's in Sorrento are expensive and hard to get, we went into a pub called Chaplins a few time and missed the last shuttle to the hotel but the guy in the bar often gave us a lift to the hotel, he's italian but calls himself Seamus.