Recommendations 4 a Gas Plumber in Dublin3 Please

Effie

Can anyone recommend a good Gas Plumber covering the Northside Please?

My central heating boiler system is kaput and needs to be upgraded including using a nw location for the boiler. New rads and a quick recovery immersion are also needed.

So far, all of the plumbers with the exception of Bord Gas approved ones, have not bothered to give me a written quotation. Abviously I don't want to go down the route of 'buyer beware' on an oral contract with no comeback if problems arrise in the future. Nor can I afford the former quotes ( NO SSIA money and all that to call upon!!!)

If I buy the stuff myself, it will cost me about 2000 so would appreciatte getting in someone to do a good job on the labour side of things.

Suggestions anyone?

If I buy the stuff myself, it will cost me about 2000

If you are getting someone other than a Bord Gais approved person they will probably have an account or be known in some of the suppliers and get a better rate than you could hope to achieve on a one off purchase. This would probably make the job less attractive to them.

AFAIK don't you need sign off by Bord Gais also and does this not incur a charge? I think it used to be the case that their packages went with an installation with one of their approved guys.

I have been told as it has been signed off once when the central heating was initally installed , any alternation after this is considered a modification and does not need their intervention.

How much would one expect to have to pay for what I need doing folks? Bord Gais people seem to think a quote of 6500-7000 is fine.

Well I don't aggree given the initial cost of materials (4,000+ for a few days work!) hence my interest in buying the stuff myself and getting in someone to do the work.

Hopefully there is a forum reader out there who can put me in contact with just the right person before I end up trying to hibernate for the winter!!

We have experience with 2 different gas plumbers who recently did and are still doing jobs in our house in Dublin 5. One did a decent enough and affordable job (fitting high efficiency condensing boiler and 1 new rad) though the rad has the wrong output, though my partner told him to get the same size so he thinks that it is his own fault. I slightly disagree.

We will have another more affor gas plumber in this month to do a huge job (replacing microbore piping so all floor boards up, new rads and immersion heater and some other bits and pieces, quoted labour costs 1800 which is good value I believe)

I would advise you not to buy everything yourself unless you have an account indeed.

I don't have their contact details now by hand, but if you want I can PM you once they are finished in our house and then I have more experience with them as well.

Thanks Mynydd, that would be much appreciated. By the way, how did you find these lads ?

Deadline for putting in the boiler is the end of the month at the latest as it is holding up other essential repair work so time is of the esence I'm afraid.

Can I ask how did you facilitate payment for services rendered? (Some of the people I've had through weren't very happy when I said I defiantely wasn't going to be giving them cash!)

Re having an account: no don't have one of those but can get boiler, immersion, rads etc. at trade prices so don't mind paying out as I don't want to be paying over the odds to plumbers if I don't need to. I'd have to pay for them one way or the other!!!

Thanks again. E

Back