Recommendation for Greece

T

tphelan

Hi,

Looking to plan a surprise holiday for my wife and I for next year. would love to go to Greece but not on a package holiday. Does anyone have any recommendation on places to go, who to fly with (can't find any low fares airlines to greece), I hear that the island hopping is good fun and you sort your accommodation when you arrive on each island? Appreciate and recommendation.

tphelan

Greece

I would recommend Kefalonia and Ithaca. These islands are stunning. Google for either and you will plenty of accomodation links. Panorama will do package or flight only to Kefalonia. I recommend either anywhere on Ithaca or the Sami/Fiscardo side of Kefalonia.

Thought Kelonia was excellent. Theres plenty of accomodation for the independent traveller.

Re: ...

You won't find cheap flights really from Dublin to Athens (even less so to anywhere else in Greece) - there's no scheduled flights on the route from any airline.

2 options really

- Try to get a seat only on a charter flight from a tour operator - Budget Travel / Panorama or whoever ... though often these aren't too cheap especially in summer as they're usually not too interested in selling seat only's if they can sell a whole package holiday. The main Greek charter destinations where you'll be able to fly to from Dublin anyway are Corfu, Heraklion (Crete) and Kos - other destinations may be possible I'm not sure .. but even if they are they'd be much less frequent.

- Fly to London (or somewhere else in the UK) then get a cheap flight from there to Greece .. Easyjet fly from London to Athens pretty cheaply and other carriers such as BA will often nearly match their low fares... otherwise there's a good choice of charter flights (look on ITV teletext / www.teletext.co.uk) to many places in Greece which aren't served from Dublin

Does anyone have any experience of Crete in late September? Would the weather still be fairly good?

Does anyone have any experience of Crete in late September? Would the weather still be fairly good?

I was there a few days into September and the weather was great so it should be more or less the same.

Re: ...

You won't find cheap flights really from Dublin to Athens (even less so to anywhere else in Greece) - there's no scheduled flights on the route from any airline.

What about Malev via Budapest? Much less hassle than via the UK. I went with them last year and they were fine.