Recommend washing machine

Ceist Beag

I had a look in the key posts but most posts are about 3 years old so just wondering if anyone has recommendations on the washing machines currently on the market? We're looking to buy a new one but I'd like to get the best available up to a certain budget (around €400 or maybe a bit more if it's highly recommended). I think the new Steam Wash type washing machines are quite a lot more expensive than this but has anyone got one and think they are worth it? Or what about the new Moon washing machine by Indesit? Energy rating would be a big factor for us too.

Nice one ClubMan, cheers for that. Sounds like a Miele is the obvious choice if we can afford it!

Article in this months Eddie Hobbs ' You and Your Money.' Top recommendation is LG's WM1437LFD but is priced around €1000. But the article them goes on ''a cheaper option worth considering is the AEG Electrolux L62810. It has a fairly good energy rating but scores highly on its comparatively low cost - around €450 - and efficiency on the fast wash cycles. On the quickest of cycles you could be done and dusted including a fairly quick spin cycle in little over an hour.''

If you can at all afford it go for Miele: their reputation is well deserved.

We have a Miele W3740 and it is fantastic. It was expensive but I would highly recommend it. My parents wouldn't let us buy anything else as they have had a Miele for 17 years and never had one single problem with it. It's worth the money, you'll save in the long run.

my Ma has has had hers for 22 years now. its a zanussi normal run of the mill machine, it has seen lots of muck from football etc over the years and is still sitting proudly in her kitchen....
(and she doesnt even use Calgon )

my advise is not to buy too expensive

I think miele are a bit over-rated, they are considered a 'high end' appliance, but they used to offer 10 year parts and decent labour warranty as far as I know, which is no longer the case. I think like most other apppliances the newer models don't stand up to the 'my mother had hers for 20 years' test. From what I have seen in the last 5-6 years Siemens would be the best bet, typically AAA rated, mid to high price range, great reputation, but at the end of the day, its a machine so I wouldn't go forking out 1000 for a washer.

Have you thought about trying the Good Housekeeping website? They do a lot of appliance testing. Also, Which? Their advice is invaluable as they have no advertisers.

just so that you know Bosch and Siemens are part of the same company so they have the similar parts as such internally.
p.s. Electrolux own AEG, Zanussi and Tricity bendix to name but a few.

We have a BOSCH CLASSIX 1400 6KG that we bought in Power City in May when we moved house and it's fantastic. Think it was about €450. I am always washing clothes and have to say this one is great, the best one we have ever had.

We have a BOSCH CLASSIX 1400 6KG that we bought in Power City in May when we moved house and it's fantastic. Think it was about €450. I am always washing clothes and have to say this one is great, the best one we have ever had.

...what is so great about it over any other washing machine?

We have just bought a Siemens A+rate with five years guarantee on parts and labour-will look for the receipt for price.

Yeah, the Siemens offer a good warranty. Bosch of course is under the same company umbrella, BSH, though I don't think Bosch offer the same gaurantee. I think Bosch is just used as the budget range, and Siemens their mid to high end range.

as far as i know whirlpool offer 8 yr guarantees. we had a zanussi in the uk for 10 yrs, bought a new zanussi when we moved home 7 yrs ago, going great. my brother swears by meile(but he's loaded)

Whirlpool offer an 8 year guarantee on parts only (first year labour covered also).