Recommend travel insuance

onway

Can anyone recommend a good company for single trip travel insurance for a couple. I have health insurance but my husband does not.There just seems to be so many to choose from.....is there really any difference..????

I was just about to pose the same query myself but I notice that you did not get any response. I would however offer a small nugget of advice, dont opt for the lowest quote!
I used a particular Irish Insurance company last year for our holiday to Turkey. On the return journey we had to pass through 2 airports - somewhere along the way I lost my wedding ring having removed and placed it in my bumbag for handiness while passing through the x-ray machines. When unpacking at home the next day I noticed that the ring was missing and decided to claim on my Insurance. My claim was refused on the grounds that I didnt contact the Airport Police to inform them of my loss. Which Police? which airport? How do I contact them? I dont speak Turkish! Alas no change of heart and I not only had to face the wrath of my wife but also had to bear the cost of a replacement.

It is now the time of year again where I look for Insurance for our forthcoming trip to Turkey. Any advice would be most welcome

I have been unfortunate twice and ended up in hospital while abroad. Once in 2004 and once in 2006 for different illnesses. I got travel insurance with www.justcover.ie and they couldn't have been better. The first one was in majorca the second in Lanzarote. I only had to pay an excess of €100, €60 of which was for the doctors visits. We kept all reciepts for everything including taxis to and from the hospital, as we had to stay on a few days after we were due to return and everything was refunded within a few weeks. Once its not a pre-existing condition your covered. I would never get insurance with anyone else again.
No link to the co btw just a very happy customer.

Unless you are going to break a limb or get hospitalised sick on holiday the holiday insurance is usually nearly worthless. Within the EU your EHIC card (available free) will cover you for any medical condition (I have successfully used this in Spain for serious illness). But, if you are travelling outside of the EU I would recommend you ask Quinn, VHI, AVIVA for cover even if your spouse is not a member.

Beware the cheapie insurance policies.

Within the EU your EHIC card (available free) will cover you for any medical condition (I have successfully used this in Spain for serious illness).

Yes absolutely ... you will be covered in any EU country for any care required - essentially as if you were a local in the country in question being treated in their Public system.

However it is worth nothing that if in the very unlikely event that something went wrong that would require you to be transported back home by air ambulance or similar the EHIC will not cover that.

I too would be interested in hearing of "good" travel insurance policies, ie ones that don't cause problems should you need to claim. In my case we have Aviva health insurance.

Re leper's comment "beware the cheapie insurance policies" - exactly what should we look out for? I'm fortunate that I've never needed to claim so haven't thought of all the potential loopholes in their cover that are not clear to a newcomer.

One other question for anyone that may know- my son is just out of hospital after having his appendix removed. We're travelling in 3 weeks and we will have been back to the hospital the day before we travel and I don't anticipate any problems re getting medical approval to travel should it be necessary. Is this a "pre existing medical condition"? I wouldn't have thought so but perhaps I'm wrong. Should it be disclosed to the insurance co in advance and if so how would you usually do this as their websites don't usually allow for correspondence.

If you are a member of the VHI you can purchase travel insurance that covers existing medical conditions and you don't have to declare them before you travel. Does anyone know if Quinn Health have a similar policy for their health customers?

Back