Recommend trading platform for a portfolio of 50-150k

jonb1981

Hi,

I'm currently trading on Degiro with a portfolio of ~50k (built it up from about 15k). I'm getting alittle uncomfortable given Degiro only protect your investments up to 20k. Their low rates is quite attractive but I do not paying more if I get more security with that. I'm planning to move another 50k-100k of cash into my trading account. Any recommendations?

thanks
J

Hi,

I'm currently trading on Degiro with a portfolio of ~50k (built it up from about 15k). I'm getting alittle uncomfortable given Degiro only protect your investments up to 20k. Their low rates is quite attractive but I do not paying more if I get more security with that. I'm planning to move another 50k-100k of cash into my trading account. Any recommendations?

thanks
J

I think there may be confusion. DeGiro, like all other EU brokers, have "client money protection" up to €20k. This relates to spare cash sitting in the account. If you move a large amount of cash into your trading account and leave it sitting there, you run a risk. But it would be the same with any broker. But you may also find DeGiro ask you not to leave the cash on account as it would cost them to hold it for you. You may be asked to fund the account as you invest broadly speaking i.e. move it in batches and top it up

They are also obliged, like all other EU brokers, to seperate your non-cash assets from the assets of the firm so that in the event of a problem, all client assets can be returned to clients. So all of your non-cash investments are covered by asset segregation rules

This is very helpful, I was wrongly associating the value of assets under the 20k guarantee, which is as you say only related to the cash held. I'm more comfortable staying with Degiro now.

Back