Recommend someone to mend laptop

CCOVICH

My Fujitsu Siemens laoptop has failed to 'start' (num lock, cap lock and scroll lock lights come on but then it dies ) since Saturday night (I left it running when I left the house, and when I came back a couple of hours later it had shutdown)

Can anyone recommend someone who would take a look at it for me? I am not sure what the problem is, it could be as simple as a fuse or something similar.

Does this happen even when it is plugged in and running off the mains power as opposed to the battery? If so perhaps the mains power is simply not getting through to the laptop? I would certainly check the power (mains and battery) issues first.

Hi ClubMan.

The battery light on the power supply is lighting, and the battery indicator light on the laptop is also lighting, so I'm not sure that's it. It was running from the mains all day Saturday, and the battery indicator did not show as low in the intray.

it is probally the battery that has failed...

If you had it plugged in and still failed then you have a serious prob me thinks..

You could try ebay and see how you get on..

[broken link removed]

I have my own guy that i use for all my comp probs etc, send me a message if your stuck and i will give you his number

ThomasJ

Thanks for the recommendation Thomas, I'll get back to you if necessary.

Must have a look at the warranty tonight, as this is still less than a year old, so it should be covered. Will have to go direct to FJS, as I bought the shaggin' thing from Compustore who have since gone the way of the dodo.

A friend of mine mentioned that the problem could be the motherboard-would this make sense?

CCOVICH said:
A friend of mine mentioned that the problem could be the motherboard-would this make sense?

It's possible but without some evidence to support the assertion that this could be the cause it's a bit of a catch all stab in the dark in my opinion. Try taking the battery out but plugging in the mains power and booting the laptop while connected to the mains power and see if that helps.

ClubMan said:
Try taking the battery out but plugging in the mains power and booting the laptop while connected to the mains power and see if that helps.

Afraid that it's not possible to remove the battery. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll check my warranty and just hope that it's covered.

CCOVICH said:
Afraid that it's not possible to remove the battery.

Really!? What make/model of laptop is it? I know that some backup batteries are embedded in the screen bezel and are not removable but I thought that the main battery in most laptops was removable.

It's a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo model. I don't have the exact model at the moment, but it is similar to this:

Amilo A

but an older model.

I bet the screen backlight has gone. Shine a torch on the screen and see if you can see any faint images.

If the backlight has gone, you're probably better off buying a new laptop.

umop3p!sdn said:
I bet the screen backlight has gone. Shine a torch on the screen and see if you can see any faint images.

If the backlight has gone, you're probably better off buying a new laptop.

No I don't think so, as you cannot hear the processor whirring, and after about 10 seconds all lights (caps lock etc.) go off. Something is not 'firing'.

processor or memory is loose and needs reseating ...possibly....pop memory out and in again