Recommend software to edit from Canon MV500i to DVD?

golden mean

I have access to lots of nice hardware, as I live with a techie, but I can't do much with any of it. Two reasons for this- my cluelessness and my lack of software to edit! Help with either would be much appreciated. I am probably not asking the right question even, but here goes....

I have images on tape (mini DV), which I would like to be able to put order on- not talking major creative undertakings here. All I can do now is copy to VHS video via the TV- clunky (but necessary as I have one "audience" who has no DVD player). Editing software came with the camera but apparently is no good.

In theory I can also edit to DVD via the TV and we also have a DVD writer on the computer. The computer is fairly heavy duty so no I could probably run any of the editing software, but I dread getting anything too complicated.

I have followed some links on other posts which take me too cold wasteland sites where I dont even know enough to make the first click....

All tips greatfully appreciated!

if you're using XP then you've probably got movie maker already on your machine (comes with SP2 i think). if not, try http://www.nero.com/eng/Products.html you can download a demo from there (30 days) which will be enough to do what you need to do and if you like it you can always make a purchase. its dead easy to use too )