Recommend Personal Finance Computer Application

mo3art

Can anybody recommend a downloadable (preferably free) financial application?

It's only for personal use so I really don't need a full accounting package. I did have MS Money on my last computer but can't find the disc now.

Thanks in advance.

I've found Money Dance to be excellent.

There is a free trial version at http://moneydance.com

The trial version is fully featured but is limited to 100 entries.

It costs 29.99 dollars for the full version.

check out this program called Money Manager.

Seems to do all the basics, and it's free:

Money Manager Ex© is a free, open-source, cross-platform, easy-to-use personal finance software. It primarily helps organize one's finances and keeps track of where, when and how the money goes. It is also a great tool to get a bird's eye view of your financial worth.

Money Manager includes all the basic features that 90% of users would want to see in a personal finance application. The design goals are to concentrate on simplicity and user-friendliness - something one can use everyday.

Glad you found it useful so far Clubman.

I just found it on the web and it seemed to tick a lot of boxes for free.

I personally don't use any form of personal finance app. Is it worth the hassle?

Perhaps it is not too late to start using one, now that I have at last started the process of moving from AIB to Halifax, also savings, NR/Rabo, etc. :D

Would you recommend the use of such s/w? Would it be helpful in keeping track of one's finances? Can you use it for other family member, such as wife?

Would that be wise ;)

My main issue at the moment is trying to keep track of the many different savings and investments accounts that we have - i.e. account details, contact details, online credentials* etc.! That's what I would be looking at using something like Money Manager Ex for - not so much for recording individual transactions on accounts or budgeting etc.

* Yes - I'm aware of the security issues! :)

I put all my passwords, account numbers and so on into a text file and then encrypt it with a 4096bit key using gpg.

I would like some of the additional facilities of a personal finance program too though.

My difficulty is that I have no problems managing the finances using MSExcel but somebody else does so I thought that if there was a "KISS" method of showing them how to manage their finances it might make life a bit easier. :D

Thanks for the recommendations everyone I'll just have to test em out a bit and hopefully one of them will work. If not I'll just have to come up with something myself!

Back