Recommend me a SatNav

I{U}Ireland

Looking to buy a SatNav...
it will be used by me and my wife so I need a userfriendly unit...I will be using it mainly in Ireland...perhaps in UK...

I llike to have the option of adding POI points and updating maps. Bluetooth...voice...etc

never used a SatNav before...not sure which brand to go for Garmin or TomTom?which model?Any good deals around?onlince shops?

I have a Garmin and am happy with it. It's easy to use and screen is a good size. Don't know about any deals!

Garmin have better map coverage in Ireland. There are many threads on this topic already, use the search facility to locate these.
Leo

I have a Garmin Nuvi 250 & it's a godsend - we use it here, in the UK and France and it's more than paid for itself over the past 2 years. I find www.mypois.ie and the facility to download links via Google Maps fantastic.

I have a TomTom Start, no bluetooth but can't fault it for it's maps, got it as a present so have no idea on the price.

It is a fairly simple device to operate.

Looking to buy a SatNav...
it will be used by me and my wife so I need a userfriendly unit...I will be using it mainly in Ireland...perhaps in UK...

I llike to have the option of adding POI points and updating maps. Bluetooth...voice...etc

never used a SatNav before...not sure which brand to go for Garmin or TomTom?which model?Any good deals around?onlince shops?

For Ireland, no real choice IMHO.............

A Garmin everytime.

For Ireland, no real choice IMHO.............

A Garmin everytime.

Disagree. I have used both extensively. Prefer the TomTom's user interface and MapShare ability. Garmin's maps are superior in rural areas but I find TomTom wins everywhere else. The Garmin superior map belief doesn't hold true any more.

Disagree. I have used both extensively. Prefer the TomTom's user interface and MapShare ability. Garmin's maps are superior in rural areas but I find TomTom wins everywhere else. The Garmin superior map belief doesn't hold true any more.

We have used both and also found the Tom Tom ONE to be the best by far , especially in urban areas .

If we go astray the 'Tom Tom One ' will say '' turn around when possible .

Whereas the Garmin will take you on a detour / roundabout , which could cost you many miles of extra driving .

Garmin use NavTeq maps, Tom Toms use Tele Atlas. Tele Atlas focus their coverage on demographics, so focus more on urban areas and have larger gaps in rural coverage. Navteq actually drive all the roads in Ireland to add new routes to their data sets.

Navteq are in talks (or at least were towards the end of last year) with OSI to purchase and use their data, if and when that happens they're have the most comprehensive data available.

Back