Recommend me a camera 'for dummies'

decembersal

Want to get an easy to use, decent enough digital camera for my parents - any bargains around/ recommendations?

I would recommend the Nikon Coolpix range, they vary in price so it depends on what you consider a bargain

Want to get an easy to use, decent enough digital camera for my parents - any bargains around/ recommendations?

Fuji finepix cameras are good and easy to use. A lot of chemists have them on offer at the moment for 99 euro. They are 10 megapixel camera

+1 for the Finepix cameras from me. Great bang for your buck.

That said, this http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002201&langId=-1&searchTerms=C182 (Kodak) Easyshare is a pretty good deal at €53.99 (half-price) in Argos.

Better still, go another €18 and get this http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5592056/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/2|cat_14419436|Digital+cameras|14419442.htm (Canon), which is slimmer and lighter and a lot more stylish.

Whatever you go for, buy extra memory and rechargeable AA batteries. You'll get good deals on mymemory.co.uk, with free and fast delivery.

I got a CANON IXUS about 2 years ago, and its very easy to use, and picture quality is very good.

Nikon compacts don't have a particularly good reputation. Your best options in the €150 region are probably canon or panasonic. Lumix are getting quite good reviews.

Use amazon.co.uk and read the camera reviews along with a few other camera websites.
Just bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ7 last week off amazon (best price around at the time) and can't wait to get my hands on it
Previously I had a Nikon Coolpix S500 which was an excellent little camera. Was thinking of getting another Nikon Coolpix but they get mixed reviews so hard to narrow down a model.

Why don't you go into an electrical store and have a play around with what is in your budget. Buying online is still an option but you really need to see a gadget in your hands before you know you want it. Reviews can be misleading and marketing is just that, so ask as many questions as you can in a shop and see what it feels like for yourself.

+1 on that. I bought a lovely Canon off Argos.co.uk and it's a lot bulkier than I thought. Having said that, it is a crackin little camera. Bought the Fuji for daughter and it's a lot slimmer, but dearer.

Slim

Xtravision have the Canon A1000 for a hundred bucks at the mo. It's got great reviews for a camera at that price. V.quick shutter lag and startup time (highly important imo) and excellent quality photos. The software's a bit old but idiot-proof if you normally avoid the settings menu (as most of us do most of the time, even though we swear to 'get into photography'). I reckon it'd be ideal for your folks.
I 'll prob get one next week for day-to-day use.

Hard to beat the Canon A480, for €72, linked to by DrMoriarty. That's what I'd buy.

The panasonic lumix is good. It has a setting which basicaly does a lot of automatic adjustments so you can leave it on that the whole time. It also has a little metal switch to change from picture taking mode to play-back. That is very handy for technophobes.