Recommend getting protective glass on wood table?

Toby

Has anyone any comments for or against getting a glass sheet made to fit the top of a wood dining table to protect the wood from hot plates, kids drawing on etc. I'm in two minds as don't want it to become a hazard. I've been advised normal glass is better than safety glass for this purpose as it breaks more cleanly or something but this does seem counterintuititive. I'm terrified of glass breaking if a kid fell off their chair and bumped into it or something. Thanks.

I wouldn't be keen on the idea as I've seen some fitted in the past and it invariably chips at the sides and can then be quite sharp and not suitable for use near kids. As far I can recall it can also work out quite expensive to purchase initially. Would you not use something like . I know the glass can look better and its a pain having to use tablecloths which get dirty very quickly where kids are but reckon its a better option in the long run.

We've had a sheet of glass on our kitchen for years. It hasn't chipped and it's so heavy that it'd be impossible to knock it off. The only problem is that if a liquid spills at the edge of the table it wicks in under the glass.

We got glass for the top of our wooden table a few years back and have had no problems with chipping etc., I would recommend it especially if they're kids around.

Is there a special type of glass to ask for .......?
Where is the best place to source such glass - living in Cork ??

Any glazier will do it for you and you can get safety or normal glass - he recommends normal glass as I said below cos he says it breaks more cleanly than safety glass - which sounds contradictory I know.It costs about €100 for non safety glass btw.

I have an oil cloth tablecloth now and could get the felt protector under it but I just feel like - whats the point in getting a nice solid oak table if you're just going to cover it up? I'm tempted to just say to hell with it and leave it uncovered and accept any damage that occurs as normal aging!

Whats the worst that can happen? Could we sand it if a kid drew on it with marker or something? Does anyone know how badly it'd be damaged if someone put something hot on it? Could that be sanded down as well? Its really think solid oak.

Thanks. Still wary about the glass top option.