Recommend CDs - unusual/cult etc

Caveat

Was hoping to get some good ideas here for the less obvious choices.

A brief description would probably be helpful.

FWIW, here are mine:

Love - Forever Changes

What can I say? The great forgotten 60s record. Wierd, catchy, soulful, inventive, melancholy & timeless.

Killing Joke - Revelations

For anyone who is into Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Helmet...this is where it all started. Aggressive, primal, angular, widescreen.

Jack L - Metropolis Blue

The most underrated Irish artist ever. Jacques Brel, Jim Morrison, David Bowie, Frank Sinatra - it's all there with a jazz/rock/folk/big band production. Amazing voice.

Voivod - Dimension Hatross

If you like 'metal' at all - you have to have this. If you like 'prog' at all - you have to have this - because it's the perfect blend.

XTC - English Settlement

It's pop, kind of - but it's better. Remember "1 2 3 4 5 - senses working over time" ? It's on it, and there are at least 3 or 4 just as good. There's nobody like them.

Great thread, Cav!

XTC!!! Class band!!!! Making Plans For Nigel.... Wonderful. :)

The one good cd I picked up over the last few years that I think would fit in here is "Moonchild" by Irish band Celtus, who were basically Pat (The Professor) and John McManus from Mamma's Boys. Celtus were a kind of Celtic and contemporary fusion band. The two tracks I like most from it are Moonchild and Strange Day in the Country. (Link below). Haunting, a la Clannad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fouk1ixctEw

Carter USM - 101 Damnations....brilliant album.
"I leave my body to medical science, if medical science will have me. They can take my lungs and kidneys, but my heart belongs to Daphne..DAPHNE!"

On a totally different tilt, check out Hilltop Hoods (Aussie white hip-hop outfit) on youtube....especially 'Stopping All Stations'. "The Hard Road" and "Nosebleed Section" are top too.

Try 10,000 Maniacs MTV Unplugged album (can an MTV Unplugged album be considered 'cult'?) - Great music with a fantastic version of 'Because the Night'.

Or how about Ireland/Dublin/Churchtown's own 'Blue In Heaven's breakthrough album 'Explicit Material' for grungy guitar rock (before grunge was invented).

Thanks for reminding me of Blue in Heaven. Anyone know where I could download "I Just Wanna"?

Back