Recommend book for stock exchange

firsttimeted

just wondering if anyone can recommend a book which teaches the workings of the stock market and suchlike.

Check out The Motley Fool website and in particular:- [broken link removed]

I was a member of a start-up share club a few year's ago and this site was a good learning tool.

There are millions of technical stock market books out there, I would recommend you avoid the "Make millions in weeks" type books and look towards the more academic section of the book shelf in your local book shop.

None of the following are technical book but they will help you get a bit of colour of what goes in the market.

The first book you should read is "Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, its a book about understanding risk. This book should be made requried reading.

I would also recommend "Traders, Guns & Money" to learn about derivitives in all its forms.

So other books I would recommend would be "Liars Poker", "infectious Greed", "F.I.A.S.C.O" "Hedghogging", "Ugly Americans", "The Washing Machine" "The Prize" "The Power of Gold" "The Mind of Wall St" and anything by George Soros.

I would also recommend subscriptions to the economist and the financial times

Best of luck learning about the stock market!

Cheers

Fintan

As an addendum to OP question, what software do regular stock market traders use to monitor and analyze share performances?

As an addendum to OP question, what software do regular stock market traders use to monitor and analyze share performances?

Majority will use bloomberg terminals, people also use reuters terminals.

Then depending on what markets they trade they will have other screens for that exchange.

Regarding trader software, Bloomberg terminals and the like can cost thousands every month.

Most people who trade the markets from home (including pro traders) will be more than happy with the platforms and lightning executions offered by Direct Access Brokers like IB, Cybertrader, MB Trading etc.

One excellent (free) software package can be downloaded at quotetracker.com. A fantastic program with great charting facilities etc.

Back