Recommend best anti-bac, anti-viral hand wash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delgirl

A friend of mine is have a quadruple bypass soon and is terrified of getting an infection, particularly MRSA and C-Diff.

Does anyone know of hand wash, foams or sprays that could be used by visitors to the hospital and in the family home following his release that might ease his fear somewhat?

Thanks!

I use Dettol Refreshing Hand foam which is easy to use and easy to carry round. Says on the bottle "as used in hospitals". Bought in Boots, less than €5.

The hospitals should have anti-bac hand rubs available in or close to every ward for visitors (and staff).

Hospitals should have anti bact rubs as you enter wards but if he would like to have his own to hand, Carex do an antibacterial hand get that you just rub on - no need for water. I'm sure there are other brands available. i got the Carex one in Boots.

I got an anti-bac hand wash similar to the ones used in the hospitals ie no need for water, in Boots. Can't remember the name of it but they had a few diff brands. Comes in a small bottle size too which is handy for your bag/pocket. We had a preemie baby and were concerned about infection too.

Tesco sell an anti bacterial hand gel similar to the ones used in hospitals. It's well documented that simply washing your hands in soap and warm water, before patient contact, is effective in preventing the spread of MRSA and to a lesser extent C- diff.

Would he not ask his GP or other medical professionals for advice on such matters?

Aldi sell small pocket sized bottles of hand sanitiser too...no idea how much they cost, however.

Would he not ask his GP or other medical professionals for advice on such matters?
He's going in next week and doesn't have an appointment with his GP beforehand. The date for the op was unexpectedly early, so he hasn't really had time to prepare himself and wants to take something in with him.

Sounds like Boots have a good selection - I'll check with their Pharmacist as well to see if they can recommend anything.

He may also be coming to stay with me for a while after the op, so I want to make sure I take as many precautions as possible and that he feels 'safe' in my home!

Indeed, particularly as AAM does not permit discussion of medical issues.
Is this a medical issue - asking if anyone knows which anti-bac soap/spray/gel is best?

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned his illness and just asked about the products?

Is this a medical issue - asking if anyone knows which anti-bac soap/spray/gel is best?

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned his illness and just asked about the products?

Well if you preface your comment by saying "A friend of mine is have a quadruple bypass soon and is terrified of getting an infection, particularly MRSA and C-Diff." of course it is a medical issue!

You probably would have got a different answer. Whether or not it would have been appropriate to your friend's circumstances is another matter entirely. I have no hesitation in recommending Lidl anti-bacterial soaps for normal use but I wouldn't dream of recommending these or any other product to a quadruple-bypass patient

Status
Not open for further replies.