Recommend areas in Germany for outdoors holiday walking cycle etc

holidayqueen

Hi
I can fly Kerry to Hann very cheaply in May so was thinking of taking a week or so in Germany. I would go from Hann to Hiedlberg for 2 nights as I have heard it is nice. I would also be looking for some other area for 4 days or so some where with a nice town maybe a lake or some nice walking or cycling places. I have heard that the Black Forest is very nice but not sure if it would be easy to access. We do not want to hire a car so if it was on a train or bus route that would be great. We have gone to places like Bled in slovenia also zell am see in Austria so we are looking for some thing along these lines so any recommendations please.

My first choice would be Schluchsee - it's exactly what you are looking for.

You can get to Schluschsee by train from Heidelberg via Mannheim and Freiburg im Breisgau - check bahn.de for details.

When you stay in the Black Forest, your accommodation will ask you to fill in a visitor tax form and in exchange you get a "Konus" visitor card that gives you free travel throughout the Black Forest region.

I will check ou both of those places thanks. I am also wondering if it would be worth my while going to Dublin to fly to either Munich or Berlin would that give me much better options for rail travel. For instance is Munich located much close to the area I am looking at than Hahn

As you are already considering Ryanair (to Hahn), your best Ryanair destination for Heidelberg and the Black Forest is Karlsruhe-Baden airport.

Berlin is in the north-east of Germany, so that's not a good option. Munich is good for Bavaria but too far east for where you want to go.

If going by Baden-Baden, take the ICE south to Offenburg where you can take the slow train up the Schwartzwald to Konstanz. Any of the beautiful stops before Immendingen makes a good base. If cycling, you can take the cycletrail around the Bodensee. Alps in the background. But if going in July/August take something for the mozzies.

This is a lovely town with all the facilities you're looking for.

It's quite far south, but easily accessible by train (via Munich).

http://www.oberstdorf.de/en/

I love Oberstdorf, I've been a few times skiing, & in the summer it is supposed to be stunning.

there is some good info on this boards.ie thread, although you might want to skim past the ski talk.