recommend Anti virus spyware software for home pc

Frank

My fathers laptop is infected with some spyware.

I have AVG free and windows defender on but they are not up to clearing it.

I put on pc doctor which found a rake of problems but you need to buy it to clear them.

I am not keen on sending out CC info from an infected machine so reckon I will buy from a shop.

Can any recommend a good alrounder?

Where is the best place to buy.

AVG Internet Security or Norton Internet Security 2009 are both very good.

You can download trial versions of both that will clean your system. Whichever you like you can then buy.

Be very wary of apps like PC Doctor ! There's numerous "rogue" or "hoax" programs out there with the sole intention of getting you to purchase their "full" version with a credit card so stick to the better brands like AVG & Norton.

btw, I don't think McAfee is much good so would recommend you avoiding it.

Hope this helps.

Download the trial version of nod32,fantastic av. You won't want to remove it when the trial is finished.

Thanks all will get it sorted next time I am in the folks house.

Follow the advice in this thread from boards.ie before you buy anything imo.

I think ESET NOD32 is widely regarded as the best of class for AV protection. From personal experience, I've no idea its running which is just the way i like it, plus the reviews suggest it detects just about everything thrown at it.

Avast, free, easy and doesn't slow your pc down like Norton

i think eset nod32 is widely regarded as the best of class for av protection. From personal experience, i've no idea its running which is just the way i like it, plus the reviews suggest it detects just about everything thrown at it.

+1 !