Recommend an auction to sell used car?

S

samhain

After a month or two of being on carzone.ie and having no responses and going to dealers who were offering next to nothing we spent our savings on a 7 seater. We couldn't wait any longer or else we would be saying to the maternity hospital to keep the new arrival as we couldn't fit the third car seat in no matter how hard we tried. So now we have two cars and I have just read the key post on selling used cars and I don't feel any the wiser. Can anyone recommend an auction or a dealer who sells the car for you for a percentage or fee?

I tried selling my car on Carzone.

The listing was up for two years without so much as a phone call.

I don't really believe the hype surrounding the website.

It may be a great spot for dealers , but I have experienced difficulty selling through the site.

I´ve sold my last 4 cars (a Pug, Ford, VW and a BMW) all on Carzone with out too much difficulty. My last car was the most troublesome to shift but that was this June when the market was flat.

It may be worth giving Merlin Car Auctions in Naas a call and ask them how the whole auction process works. I have found them to be very helpful and explained the whole process. They charged me a flat fee of under €200 to include the car. Have a look at their website also, you should find plenty of info on that

No affiliation.

We got no response from ads put on carzone. But the car sold the first day they went into the national press. The other a few days later. I think its because our likely market isn't actually on the web, but does read the papers. You might want to consider that. If you use the web a lot its easy to forget that lots of people, just don't use it.

i have sold loads of cars on carzone. im not a dealer but i buy and sell cars fairly frequently if the price is right. carzone is great if you are selling at a realistic price. for instance, if i am looking for a ford mondeo, when i click on the model the cheapest price comes up first so there is no point in looking at the overpriced ones on the next page. it amazes me that people expect to sell their cars privately for the same price that dealers would sell for. i would say that 80% of cars advertised on carzone are overpriced, and their price calculator for your car is based on the average of x amount of overpriced cars on the website so this will be way off the mark. i find local papers also get a very good responce as some people prefer to buy a local car for peace of mind
drop your price and advertise again

Thanks for the advice, hadn't even thought of the local papers.