Recommend an accountant

C

chipper

Can anyone recommend an accountant for our annual tax return... fairly simple stuff really... husband is paye, i'm self-employed and we have a property in UK and soon adding one in France... it's really the tax implications of the properties that i'm green about ... so need professional help to keep us on track... had a bad experience with the accountant we used last year. He "forgot" to file our return and it ended up being a huge panic in april... just found them in the golden pages and chose them based on being near us so would prefer a recommendation this time... we're in dublin 7 by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
He "forgot" to file our return and it ended up being a huge panic in april...

The April panic has me interested, are you referring to UK deadlines as the Irish deadline is October. ( November for online filing & payment) If it was an Irish return and if you've been in the self-assessment system here for a while, then notwithstanding having an accountant you should have been receiving a Pay & File notice from Revenue in September to remind you a good 2 months before the deadline. Your accountant would also have received one. If your Irish return was not filed until April then indeed you have a problem with surcharges & posible interest and, unfortunately, the taxpayer has ultimate responsibility for the filing of their returns even if they have an accountant.

You mention that it's fairly simple, paye, self-employed, UK property & now French property. You need someone who is especially conversent with the tax implications of the foreign properties and it would be worthwhile mentioning to them that at the beginning as accountants would have varying degreees of experience in these areas.

Further, from your UK property ( if its rented) you will be aware of the filing obligations in the country in which the property is situated if they are rental properties. You will have filing obligations in France ( notwithstanding double-taxation agreements) and make sure to get good appropriate advice on that too.

Graham,

Thanks for your advice. I'm referring to the irish deadline. Revenue started writing to me in april telling me they had no returns from us - we thought it was all done last october - even did the cheque then ... the accountant said he had submitted our returns last october and that revenue had lost them... i'm dubious. In any case they were inefficient at best or outright liars at worst. Luckily, we weren't charges any penalties or surcharges (got refund actually.)

So, despite the fact that it worked out in the end, I have lost confidence in that firm as you can understand.

And yes, I know the foreign properties require particular attention --- that's why i'm asking for a good recommendation? Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

This site has a helpful list of good accountants searchable by area:

I have no personal experience with any in your area, but the site has info to help you choos the best accountant for your needs...hope it helps!

This site has a helpful list of good accountants searchable by area:

I have no personal experience with any in your area, but the site has info to help you choos the best accountant for your needs...hope it helps!

Hi Catlover, thanks for those, unfortunately as this is an Irish site, primarily dealing with persons resident in or with an interest in finance etc. in Ireland, links to west coast USA accountants would not probably work in this instance. Hope the weather in CA is better than here tho' :)

Back