Recommend a Starter Telescope Kit

G

gemma_murphy

Hi apologies if this is a repeat question. My husband has expressed an interested in Astronomy and i was thinking of getting him a telescope for Christmas. Can any one recommend one for beginners that still gives good magnification that doesn't cost the earth. I think Aldi or lidal ahave one this week and was wondering if anyone has it and is it any good.

Definitely try Astronomy Ireland, you may be able to buy a second hand telescope - they dont wear out with time so its a good deal to buy one second hand if its not being used.

I have a Celestron with a list price of ~350 euro that I bought second hand for 100 euro, perfect condition (not from Astronomy Ireland - but the previous owner was a member).
The person I bought it from had kept the original packaging etc... It came to me as though it was brand new.

Astronomy Ireland will be able to recommend whats a good beginner type scope and steer you away from the badly made Asian ones that appear all over ebay at bargain prices. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. If you price up new Celestron or Meade scopes online you will get an idea of a fair price for good quality.

Wife bought me one last year or was it the year before, she was convinced it was what I wanted, Don't tell her but it was a larger spotter than the one I have I wanted, she spent a fortune on it too, certainly not worth what it cost and not that much to see after, He will want a huge interest in astronomy to justify buying one, a good spotter in my book is much better value and will provide a lot more things of interest to look at, Once you get one good look at the moon it will always be the same.(only my opinion)