Recommend a solicitor

F

fivefifty

My partner is being taken to court this month by the Revenue for non-filing of tax returns for the last 3 years. She had started a small business as a sole trader which failed and believed her then accountant had let the Revenue know she was no longer trading. She has acquired a new accountant who is letting the revenue know that she was not trading for the last 3 years.

Can anyone recommend a solicitor (Dublin area) for this matter?

Also would anyone have any idea of the potential fees charged by a solicitor in dealing with a case like this? (I realise this is difficult to estimate but at the moment I don't even have a ballpark figure so any info would help greatly.)

Many thanks.

I doubt it will get as far as court tbh. The revenue have no interest in dragging people into court if there is nothing to dispute. Get your new accountant to offer any cooperation the Revenue need to satisfy themselves that your partner wasn't trading - bank statements etc. Keep talking to them and there's a good chance it won't go to court.

Thanks Kate10. We are looking into it and talking to the Revenue. I believe thought once a court summons has been issued that the case must take place?

No not necessarily. The Revenue could choose to withdraw the proceedings. Or if they need some time to satisfy themselves that your partner was not trading, they could adjourn the matter on the original return date, then withdraw the proceedings.

If this is a misunderstanding the court would not thank the Revenue for unnecessarily taking up court time, and the Revenue won't want to do it. They may take some convincing if three years of warning letters were not responded to before now, but keep working with them, be very proactive in giving them information, and they may be happy to just withdraw the matter.

Thanks Kate10 and T McGibney. Wasn't sure which section to put this in as relates to both tax and law. All replies much appreciated.

You should contact an accountant or tax advisor or both. They are generally more experienced dealing with revenue than solicitors are.