Recommend a rain jacket?

PM1234

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a rain jacket suitable for an elderly man. It must be waterproof but must also keep him warm and dry. The problem is the jacket may be put down and its whereabouts quickly forgotten so ideally I'd prefer not to spend more than approx. €100.

I went to the Great Outdoors and from what I gathered Gore-Tex seems to get great reviews. However they are also expensive.

I went to TK Maxx but gave up as I didn't know what I should be looking for. Also the jackets seemed to be mainly ski jackets which would be too bulky for him to wear comfortably.

Would anyone have any recommendations and/or advice on where to buy it? A jacket which doesn't need a lot of care ie waxed regularly etc would be great also.

Apologies if this has been asked before. I did a search but couldn't find an answer.

Thank you.

Cant recommend one as im on the hunt for one too-the one im using at the moment keeps the rain out very well-but the thing is the heat from my body cant escape, condenses on the inside and soaks me anyway. I work out doors hence lots of sweat!

So my point is try get one that is Breathable if you think the above may be a problem.

my work collegue uses a Lidl jacket and has the same problem as me. Also be weary of some sales assistants just trying to get a sale in. check the labels to see if its breathable if you require this.

good luck

I had a great rain jacket sent over to me from the US. It's made by a company called Frogg Toggs - extremely lightweight & breathable. The only problem is that the company doesn't do international delivery as far as I can remember. Therefore, I arranged for a friend in the States to order it & then send it over to me. As it's so lightweight the shipping cost wasn't an issue. Google Frogg Toggs to see the types, colours etc available. I think the stuff was originally designed as fishing gear but it's actually really nice!

Drizabone, a New Zealand waterproof riding-coat, is excellent and within your budget. It has the advantage - for an older person - of not having one of those annoying front zips which has to be threaded before closing up the coat. [broken link removed]

Not sure if that link works but you can trace it through. You could also try Barbour but they are more expensive, heavier etc.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Marie I hadn't thought of the zip and you're right. He would find it difficult to zip up the double zip that many of the jackets I've looked at have. The colour would have to be quite conservative too as he will not wear anything too bright etc.

I had a look at Drizabone but ideally would prefer a shorter jacket rather than a coat and one with a hood (it would hopefully be more likely that he would wear it!). Also I'd prefer to buy it in a shop instead of online as it may have to be changed if not the right fit (very likely).

If anyone could recommend particular shops I'd be very grateful.

The best rain jackets around are made by a company called Galvin Green. They're a Swedish golf clothing company. Unfortunately these are very expensive (c.€350) however you could get a similar type in any golf store for far less. The key is breathabilty and you should be able to get a breathable non Gore Tex jacket for c.€100. Try Proquip or Sunderland also.I have the Galvin Green and swear by it but friends have the other ones too and have no issues.

The goretex type rain jackets are probably the best but do you really need that type of jacket - these are usually for someone that will be out in all types of wet weather. If you dad needs one to get him from car to house or shop to house and can if can stand in out of heavy rain then you caould chose something a bit cheaper and get something warm as well.

There is a Tog 24 Shop in the outlet centre in Kildare village and may be worth a visit.

Thanks Pee. He goes out walking a lot and frequently gets caught out in heavy rain. As he is walking he doesn't need a very heavy jacket but one which is waterproof, isn't too bulky and yet has some warmth in it would be ideal. As he's liable to take it off and leave it somewhere I don't really want to spend the cost of a Gore-tex but I still want to get something fairly decent.

Thanks again.

I got a Dri-Joy golf jacket for €110 in Golfing memories in Bray. It is the most comfortable thing ever. Don't know if you could get it cheaper in the sales.

Don't forget that with a short waterproof jacket the rain will simply run off onto the elderly chap's trousers giving his legs a soaking. Given that he sounds unlikely to wear waterproof trousers, you may want to rethink the short v long option.

Patagonia in Dublin - Wicklow St - I got a Gotrex XCR (best type) for €100 a while back.

You could also take a trip to Lowe Alpine's factory outlet in Tullamore - only an hour and a bit from Dublin, motorway all the way. A gotrex plus fleece linber will cost about €180

Back