Recommend a portable media player

CKT

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a portable media player, I want it for my 4 year old for going on holidays and in the car..

We have a portable dvd player but the battery isn't great,, and I would like to put all the kids movies on the one device.

I am in two minds whether to get an all singing all dancing one, which I could also use or just go with something cheap...I let her use my nokia n900 to watch movies sometimes (which she loves)

Any suggestions?

We have a sony portable dvd that runs off cigette lighter, (TBH battery would be handier) but it plays DivX's so you can put a bunch of movies on one DVD. One that takes a USB drive would be handier, that's what I'd look for next time. Something not too expensive.

The easiest thing though was putting movies on a iPod Touch, we've found thats good for short distractions. Screens a bit smaller for extended watching though. You could pick up an old one for not much. Avoid the first one it has no speaker. Older kids use the iPod Touch as a game console. Leapster was much liked in our house.

I have a suggestion. Why not buy a cheap second hand laptop on
donedeal or ebay (150-200euro) and buy a car charger for about 10 or
15 euro? It should play all media and is relatively cheap.

A valid alternative for sure. A netbook too. Though you'd need an external DVD which isn't as handy as a laptop.

good suggestions, i would probably looking at something on the smaller size so it would be easier to take on holidays.. i suppose something like the itouch (even though i don't like apple) would be good

Theres the iPad aswell. But its a bit too pricey to let the kids drop it.

You might find an older tablet laptop that can flip the screen.

I thought they were pretty pricey to end up with less functionality than a laptop or a iPod/iPad.

Back