Recommend a Peugeot

firsttimeted

Hi there

Just wondering if you could recommend a Peugeot for an Aunt of mine? The reason she wants to buy Peugeot is because the local dealer sells them and she likes to give them business. She currently drives a 406 (97 Reg) and has about €15,000 to spend. I have convinced her to get a second hand car as there is so much value out there at the moment.

She has checked out some prices and there are 2nd hand 406's that are going quite cheap but I have told her that with the fuel tax, she is better off getting a smaller car. She doesn't need a big car anymore as she is aged around 60 and only will be using it herself and not for long distances.

I think she should get something like a hatchback. Anyone have any tips on what make are good - fuel economic etc..

Thanks

The only Peugeot I would ever consider (if you put a gun to my head that is) is the 206. Should be reasonably fuel efficient and OK to drive. Reliability should be not as bad as some of the rest of the range.

The reputation for unreliability that French cars seem to have on this site is undeserved - certainly as far as Peugeot are concerned. Given that your aunt currently has a 12-year old 406 she'll know that already. My own everyday transport is a 16-year old 306XN, the radio is a bit crackly, but other than that its fine and has an NCT cert until May 2010.
There is certainly superb value to be had in second-hand cars at the moment, and given that the 406 is no longer a current model prices should be even softer. Something from 2002-2004 should be seriously cheap at the moment. With a diesel engine (and possibly leather interiors) you could pick up a superb car for a few thousand. Not perhaps everyone's idea of a suitable car for a little old lady, but if her annual mileage is low then why not enjoy a little comfort and the protection of a larger car?

Peugeots are awful, I wouldn't give them my business even if they were family. Do they sell second hand cars from other makes? I would do that.

My first car was a Punto i bought at a peugeot dealership in Baldoyle and I know they do other makes too.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Peugeots to anyone. Yes, there were reliability issues with some of them over the years, but that is the same as ANY marque. Anyone remember the taxi drivers picketing the head office of the number 1 car seller in this country some years ago??

A budget of €15K would easily get her a 2007 registered 407, she might even get a '08.

Alternatively, the 308 is a fine, spacious car launched last year. Prices start at about €20K but again, perhaps her local dealer will be able to find her a used or demo model for about the €15K mark.

She could easily get herself a brand new 207, which is plenty big for one or two people - would she be happy to downsize from a saloon to a hatchback?

I have no affiliation - am just a satisfied customer!

PS: Mongey Plunkett - the peugeot dealer in Baldoyle - have a 2007 focus for about €13K if that's the dealership your auntie was talking about.

We bought a 03 Peugeot 206 1.4 in the North for 2200 sterling and 1,000 euro VRT here .
A brilliant car - has electric windows , remote central locking , air-conditioning .

Is very economical 7.50 miles per litre around town

I could not recommend a Peugot. For peace of mind with high reliability, I would recommend the Toyota Yaris. I helped my mother buy one and she loves it. My wife had one previously and it was one of the best cars she had. No disrespect intended, but the older generation tend to get caught up with loyalty to the local dealers so their judgement can be swayed. I have seen my mother being ripped off with high repair bills from her local dealer (not Toyota), so they are not always "loyal" to her when they should be.

Did you know that Peugeot invented the pepper mill, and have been making them for many more years than they have made cars. I would thoroughly recommend the Elis model in stainless steel with panoramic view, one-handed operation, and automatic lighting. See it [broken link removed]

Peugeots are awful, I wouldn't give them my business even if they were family. Do they sell second hand cars from other makes? I would do that.
Have to say I had a 406 and it did over 200,000 miles before it died without ever causing me hassle. Don't let people who had a bad experience put you off. Every manufacturer has made some bad cars. With production practices today and the fact that everyone is owned/partnered with everyone else the reliability shouldn't really vary on a fairly new car like you should get for €15,000.

Best places to get an idea of reliability is the independant sources such as JD Power, [broken link removed].
Leo