Recommend a nice spot to stop between north Donegal and Westport Please

coolaboola

Howdy folks!

To celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary meself and himself are heading off to the north west for a break at the end of April/start of May.

With the help of past posts here and tripadvisor etc., a plan is taking shape (pending booking, etc.). A couple of nights at The Mill in Dunfanaghy in north Donegal to start and then finish with three or four nights in the Westport Plaza.

That leaves me with two or three nights in between to stop off somewhere between north Donegal and Westport. Any suggestions? (Both for location and/or places to stay)

c

If you're into good food (esp. fish) I would recommend Castelmurray House Hotel near Dunkineely for a night. Excellent food, lovely ambiance and good service. Went there last year for wedding anniversary and loved it.

Have a look at their website

The Radisson in Rosses Point (about 5km north of Sligo town) is wonderful. Rates can be cheap due to the recession. It's a fine hotel with lots of facilities.

Sand hotel in Rossnowlagh is brill, stunning views from rooms, lovely helpful staff, oldschool style hotel

Ta very much all for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

After mulling it over for a bit I'm thinking staying in somewhere comfy but not OTT on the luxury front in Sligo (have stayed in Radisson before, nice but not nice enough to rush back) ... maybe just a B&B (Anyone stayed at Pearse Lodge, the highest rated B&B in Sligo on Tripadvisor? ... suspicisously highly rated, actually....:) )

Then blow all our luxury points in Westport at the Plaza!

If you are going to stay in Sligo, then stay in the clarion. Cheap as chips if you book now.

Other stops could be Harveys point hotel outside Donegal town overlooking Lough Eske. Beautiful hotel and setting. Next door is the new Solas Lough Eske castle. Bit overrated but nice enough. 5 star.

The Mill park hotel, also in Donegal town is nice. Donegal town is lively at the weekends.

Thanks very much for those suggestions folks. Appreciated. I'll look into The Glasshouse and Clarion for somewhere to stay in Sligo.

The Glasshouse is looking good. Only thing is, I called to book and checked what their cancellation policy was (like a good AAM'er). They take a 4% non-refundable booking deposit at the time of booking. So I said thanks, but no thanks. I might book closer to the time in case my plans change.

I've never come across a hotel with a non-refundable booking deposit before. Sure, if you're booking only a few days ahead. But not 4 months ahead!! Cheeky b*ggers!

(I did book the Westport Plaza though ... 48 hours cancellation policy... that's more like it. Now I'm looking forward to our hols.)

Hi, on a similar journey a few years ago I stopped off in Mullaghmore for a few days and stayed at www.beachhotelmullaghmore.com there was a deal which included B&B and a few evening meals, it was a nice spot for a few days and its a lovely but very quiet spot.

Agree that Mullaghmore is good but quiet. Hotel is nice, food is fine and location is perfect.

Back