Recommend a holiday

Pique318

Hi all,

Fairly broad remit here.

My Wife & I are looking for a cheap sun holiday getaway for the first week of June.

Where in Portugal/Spain/other do you recommend

Without football-shirt-wearing 18-25 year olds drunk all day please so Playa d'Ingles is out !

Resorts & cities welcome. Not Barcelona though, been there last year.

Cheers all.
PK

You can get loads of holidays....

Turkey - 7 June good hotel nr Kusadasi (decent flight to izmir) -350 pp.
See many historical sights and spend a day in izmir city

Portugal -Cabanas - quiet but nr pleasant Tavira town and day trip to amazing seville two hours away. 330-380 pp

Cyprus -Ayia Napa ,not normally my recommendation as it is quite resorty but its low season and relatively peaceful,.accommodation is O.K. 400 upwards. Good safe touring with cheap rent a car.

You may laugh at idea of Costa del sol but I love it in late Spring. With a car ,or by train from Malaga station you can visit Seville, Granada, Cordoba. And Malaga city is greatly underrated.
Prices of decent accommodation not that great however 400-500.

We're finding in our travel agency that there has been a recent rush due to bad weather -and frankly people have been holding off booking due to obvious economic reasons but there suddenly seems to be a sense of -"it's getting late I better go away for a week ".
But then i would say that wouldn't I!

If you need specific info on an area/price I'd be happy to help....

Thanks Old Nick,

We were originally looking at Lisbon and then went into a travel agent and found a place in Agadir, Morocco for €400. I know nothing about Agadir (or Morocco as a whole, tbh) but the cultural side of things is waaay more important and interesting to us than lounging by a pool or on a beach. Beach would be a definite plus though.

A Catalan friend of mine recommends Minorca, but I don't see much about it on travel sites. Majorca and 'Ballymun in the sun' type places are sure to have their 'old' self but lack of knowledge of these places is holding me back.

Nothing much in Agadir thats historic or cultural.Large resort town with good-ish beach. Loads of hotels restaurants and bars- but no yobs or lager louts. Could be boring for someone expecting something different.

Wonderful exhausting exciting noisy smelly city of Marrakech is three hours away. there are day trips there - tiring six hours on a coach.
Personally I would go to M. on a local bus in the a.m. see the city and stay overnight. In morning take local bus for fascinating bumpy ride over the Atlas Mountains to Taroudannt (worth a few hours) - 4/5 hours and thence back to Agadir by regular hourl bus service in 2 hours.

studio apt one week in Agadir from 380.
Argana Hotel 3 star clients seem happy - 390.

Minorca has very few Ballymun type places.Quiet small low rise resorts -pleasant rolling hills. Nothing exciting or interesting but there are two pleasant old towns on either end of this small island.

Nothing much in Agadir thats historic .

The whole town was destoryed in an earth quake in the 1950's. So nothing at all older than that there.

I spent 8 hours there back in February and tbh it was enough time.

Pique, might be slightly beyond your budget, but I would recommend Fuerteventura - nobody I have advised on this has been disappointed yet.

Much, much less of a tattoo/football shirt crowd than the rest of the canaries and a general laid back vibe. Spectacular beaches and if anything, slightly cheaper than the main islands food/drink wise.

I'd have no problem with Menorca either BTW.

Try Sardinia.
You'll get Ryanair flights to Alghero from Dublin for about 130 euro each and plenty of hotels to book in Alghero yourself or try justsardinia.co.uk . We used them last year and can recommend them.
Good weather, good food, no drunks/yobs at all. Historic buildings , great beaches , shopping.

We stayed at Villagio dei Pini near(ish) to Alghero two years ago and had a great time. The b-in-law and his wife joined us and we would all be happy to go there again.

[broken link removed] will give all details.

Wherever you choose, have a great time.

I'd definately recommend a trip to Berlin. Great city - lots to see, great pubs/clubs and not too expensive. We got very reasonable flights through Aer Lingus and spent 4 nights at the Best Western -nice clean hotel with coffee maker (great in the morning) and beside a rail station that links you to all the must see sites in the city.

Not sure if you can travel on May 29th..return flights to Lanzarote..€199 per person..advertised on holidaysonline under late deals. Then choose Playa Blanca as your resort, low key night life, lovely place for people seeking a quieter kind of holiday, beautiful Marina and long promenade for walks. Good selection of restaurants. Next, look up www.lanzarotelates.com and book a villa with a private pool. Prices vary (€450 upwards) , you will probably need to hire a car but that will be about €140/150. You will spend your budget but you will have a nice relaxing sun holiday with your own villa and pool and be close enough to beaches and activities.

I recently came across this website which gives last minute deal offers, which might help

[broken link removed][broken link removed]

delighted to see that moneysavers.ie can offer nothing cheaper than we travel agents who also include transfers to and from airport to hotel plus in-hold luggage !

I think we forget to check the travel agents as like old nick says it include the extras which do mount up. We always think the internet cheaper but it not always so.