recommend a "gadget" to keep a track on your pets?

shootingstar

Hi

Our pet was missing for 4 days. he arrived back last night in a terrible state - weak, dehydrated, & badly beaten up. Going to vet this morning with him. He cant even walk properly.

My Q is, when hes fit and well again i need to put a tracking device on him or something along those lines anyway before i let him out again. Can some recommend something to me please? Im in cork area.

Many thanks

SS

Re: recommend a "gadget" to keep a track on your pets???

My boyfriend has a mobile phone. Although he doesn't always answer it right away its the only way I have of tracking him down...

Sorry...couldn't resist....sorry to hear about your pet though...Dog or cat?

Re: recommend a "gadget" to keep a track on your pets???

may work

[broken link removed]

Your dog shouldn't be out on its own according to the Control of Dogs Act. Maybe keeping him on a lead when out instead of letting him do his own thing?

Your dog shouldn't be out on its own according to the Control of Dogs Act. Maybe keeping him on a lead when out instead of letting him do his own thing?
The original poster never said that it was a dog.

I presume your pet is a cat. If he isn't already neutered, do so immediately. Tomcats will wander for miles, inevitably getting into massive scraps with other males in the area - often these fights can result in near fatal injury, not to mention the very real risk of your cat contracting FIV or FeLV through fighting, both fatal diseases.

we have dogs and the vet injected them with a microchip

if they are found and a vet or sanctuary scans them they can find our contact details

"The original poster never said that it was a dog."

Fair point, Clubman.

we have dogs and the vet injected them with a microchip

if they are found and a vet or sanctuary scans them they can find our contact details

Or if the pound get them, they 'probably' won't scan them and they'll be put down within a week.

Always have your contact details on their collar.

You can get a fence to run around the boundary of your garden. This fence runs along the ground and cant really be seen. You put a collar on the dog and the dogs wont go within a foot or two from the fence. Its not cruel. you could nearly switch fence off after a day or two because at that stage the dogs knows himself to keep back

its a cat we have. hes already neutered and the vet recommended we dont put a collar on him because they can get trapped / stuck in branches and such.
Will look into the different possibilies of tagging / tracking etc. thanks everyone.

God were devastated over him. Hes a fantastic pet to have. I didnt realise how attached to him i was until he went missing.

Sorry my interpretation of the control of dogs act was that you could leave the dog on the premises of the owner/person in charge of dog/other premises with owners consent unattended. With control collar the dog would then not be able to leave the premises.

the vet recommended we dont put a collar on him because they can get trapped / stuck in branches and such.

You can get 'quick release' collars that will automatically break open if tugged sharply e.g. by a cat getting it caught on a branch. Check out some of the online pet stores, they should all carry them.

A cat will go wherever it likes - that's part of the beauty of having a cat because you can reasonably assume that it can wander without causing accidents/damage/harrassment in the way that a dog can.

Urban environments are more dangerous because of the more limited space and increased hazards like cars and dogs. Normally they are well able to look after themselves and mine have disappeared for days before coming back. Sure I was concerned about them but they are adult animals and I never set out to prevent them moving around.

Its a tragedy if a family pet is killed in an accident but it happens all the time. The OP's cat quite clearly enjoys rather 'active' trips out. IMHO, I think its a case of letting it wander as it sees fit and let it take its own risks, otherwise its freedom is being curtailed and its not going to have such a full existence.

With 2 cats in house, both with collars & ID tags & the obligatory bell to save the bird population, for 7 years now left roam freely. Had a few scrapes with one ( the male ) whos managed to get cut, break a jaw, lose an upper incisor tooth and still comes home happy as larry. Cats dont just need freedom to roam but their very persona demands it. I emphathise with the OP as any time our guys did a wobbly & went missing or got hurt, we were devastated. But like kids, you have to rear them and cut them loose. The electronic tag is a good idea as the one thing I'd hate is for one of them to be lying at the roadside somewhere, beyond help and not be able to bring them home for a decent burial. After this discussion I'm going to check into that more.